Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 stirrup pump

Matt Allen

Hi

I have just bought what I believe is a stirrup pump from an antiques fair and I am trying to validate if it is real and from WW1.

There are no markings on it, can anyone help me understand or guide to where to look for more information please?

Why don’t you post some images of the pump Matt.

Someone may be able to help in identifying it.

Edited by Waddell
Spelling

Hi,

Appreciate any help that someone can provide in helping me identify this pump, maybe an estimate of a date range and whetehr it is miltary or not?

Many thanks.

Cheers

Mattpump.jpg.374c4014ed163703ac393005753a09a3.jpg

Very difficult to date. Its a typical commercial stirrup pump for clearing water from a basement or similar application, - high flow rate, low lift, suitable for immersion in a shallow area of ponding.  Exactly what the Army needed for use in the trenches. Being fitted with a rifle sling indicates that it may have had military use - but thats not a guarantee, a civilian owner may have replaced an original strap with a rifle sling as a cheap repair .

Go over it carefully looking for a makers name and try to match this with the details of the company in Graces Guide. That is your best chance of finding the period of manufacture

Cheers

Ross

Thanks to both of you for all your help, I'll try and see if I can find any markings but so far no joy. I'll look at Graces Guide too and have contacted them to see if they can steer me anwhere.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thnaks again.

Matt

Most of these trench or small boat pumps are maker marked. They were often made by firms making agricultural spray and pump equipment. I have seen a broad arrow mark on one filter. 

Hi Ross,

Thanks and interestingly that one shows a clear marking wheras mine has no markings that I can see so very hard to agree it is legitimate WW1, but still don't know how to find out and rally keen to understand its orgin and where it may have bene used?

Appreciate your help.

Kind regarsd

Matt

• 3 years later...

Could anyone tell me the height approx with out the base stand I’ve bought one but Royal Mail has to collect and I don’t know what size to put on postage thanks