Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12 th london regiment any info on what they did in

Guest halsaps21

I would be very intested if anybody has viewed WO 95/128. at the national archives or any info on what they did in the great War I know my great grandfather Arthur Crouch survived but not before being burried alive twice and gased. any info on what he did very gratefully received

regards Lee

I gather he was 474707 Pte Arthur Crouch? It appears he was also in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

Have you downloaded his Medal Index Card? Someone may be able to assist regarding which KRRC battalion he was in.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=3

You can view information about the Londons here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm

and KRRC here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/krrc.htm

Rgds

Tim D

Hello Lee.

The service number in the 12th Londons,is quite high(6 digits),so i wonder if he served later on in the war,maybe as a conscript in 1917/18.

The 12th Londons(Rangers),were around for quite some time in France and Flanders,serving on the Somme in 1916,as the 1/12th with the 56th London Division,and the 2/12th Londons,in 175th Brigade of the 58th(2/1st) London Division,from early 1917,on.

The 2/12th were very busy during 1917,at Bullecourt and 3rd Ypres,and then served during the German offensives of 1918,after they merged with the 1/12th,finding themselves fighting during the Battle of Villers-Bretonneux,during late April 1918,and then in the final battles,starting in August,that led to the end of the war.

My Great-grandad was with the Machine Gun Company of 173rd Brigade,of the same Division,and was very busy during all his time over there.

He was originaly a member of the Royal Berks,when called up,but was posted to the Machine Gun Corps for active service,so maybe this is why Arthur was in the K.R.R.C,before the Rangers.

Downloading the MIC,will solve a load of problems,i would think.

All the best.

Simon.

2/12 Battalion London Regiment ( The Rangers )

They were part of the 58th (London) Division and served on the Western Front from 1917. Their battle honours were:

Arras

Ypres

Passchendale (all for 1917)

In February 1918 they were disbanded and the personnel of the battalion amalgamated with the 1/12th to form the 12th Battalion which continued to serve with 58th Division. Their Battle Honours in 1918 were:

Villers Bretonneux

Tailles Wood

Bray sur Somme

Epehy

Lens

Maulde

They were called The Rangers.

I think these mught be one and the same