The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

American Soldier Records

GJW

Hi,

Where might one go to find information on US soldiers who served in WW1?

Gerard

Thanks Barry. Could you tell me where on ancestry? I have ordinary subscription but know someone who has high level so could ask if i know where to send him - if you get my logic?

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

"Search all records", Collection Focus, "USA" and it will bring up the censuses and WW1 Draft Registration Cards.

Regards Barry

Cheers Barry. I have their Draft Reg Cards but it does not state if they served overseas........

It'll be quite difficult. There was a fire in the archives in St Louis which destroyed the records of WW1 servicemen (the fire was in 1971 or 1974, not sure when). Some States have a summary of WW1 service and there are some books which give county or statewide service. You might be fortunate and find your man that way. Good luck.

Aled

Not everyone who had a draft card served in the army as far as I know.

Given that most US Army service records went up in smoke in 1973, one of the more useful sources to determine if/when a doughboy went to Europe is the Ancestry dataset titled 'U.S., Army Transport Service, Passenger Lists, 1910-1939'

In addition, it includes details on those whose remains were repatriated postwar to the US.

If you are lucky, your man has a summary of his service record recorded on a roll of honour for a given state. The New York records provide some good information in this regard. Given that battle clasps were given with the Victory Medal, clasp entitlement is recorded in some cases.

Thanks everyone. A friend told me to check the 1930 US cenus as it asks if you served overseas with the armed forces. It seems the 2 brothers I am researching did not. Two other brothers did from Ireland with one KIA (story back-fill) 

Gerard