Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

derby war memorial

Guest plim

If the memorial is local to you would you see if any WW1 serving female casualties are on it please (photographs of the name would be appreciated) ? I have Derby references for Barbara Ellen Goodwin, WRAF, Pattie Hyde, QMAAC, Florence Nightingale Shore, QAIMNS and Winifred Mary Steele, QMAAC as possibilities.

Hello

Along the same lines, is Pte Taylor MM of the Cold Gds mentioned?

Jim, if you (we) dont find out I am going in 2 weeks to look up my man and can spare some time to check for you

Ian

is Pte Taylor MM of the Cold Gds mentioned?

There are no names on the above memorial.

There are mentions in The Derby Mercury for a Pte Taylor CG.

27.10.16 14481 Pte C.P. Taylor CG Wounded.

29.3.18 14481 Pte (LCPl) C.P. Taylor in a list of M.M. awards.

No further.

Stuart

Stuart

Cheers mate - will send you a thank you and a longer message by email

Ian

Ian,

The Central Library in The Wardwick, Derby, used to have a (reference only) booklet listing names on the various memorials around Derby. It is incomplete but worth bearing in mind.

Stuart

Winifred Mary Steele, QMAAC

Jim,

Her name is on the post office memorial - image sent to you.

Stuart

sorry i diddn't get back to you on this its not far from me but names may not show up well on photo

but could see what names are on it :)

booklet listing names on the various memorials around Derby. It is incomplete but worth bearing in mind.

Checked the above today. None of the above names are listed with the exception of Winifred Steele and an image has been obtained for Jim.

Stuart

• 14 years later...

Hi everyone,

Long way of resurrection for this thread... does anybody have a picture of the Derby Memorial at the Post Office. It's supposed to be on the IWM website but it sais "not available".

Thank you !!!

M.

That is indeed the one, Jay!!

But if the relatives of Heid the Ba happen to have to go to the post office and could take a more detailed picture, I would be ever so greatful!!!

M.

I definitely have a good piccie of the Post Office war memorial at Derby, I shall remember to post it on here for you when i get home from work later.

Best wishes

Rich

23 minutes ago, Scritch said:

I definitely have a good piccie of the Post Office war memorial at Derby, I shall remember to post it on here for you when i get home from work later.

Best wishes

Rich

That sounds great!!!!

M.

No problem at all Marilyne. Just out of curiosity and if you don't mind my asking, what's your particular interest in the Post Office memorial? I've seen from another of your posts that you are visiting and photographing the graves of women who died on the Western Front, so I was just wondering if it was Winifred Mary Steele that has caught your interest. If so, there are a couple of other memorials around Derby that mention her that I can let you have copies of.

Best wishes

Rich

Edited by Scritch