Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gommecourt July 1916

Chris Boonzaier

Does anyone know if there is a good web site out there with info on this part of the battle?

and a one in a million chance... does anyone (Ralph?) know anything about Vizefeldwebel Wilhelm Hürst of the 2nd Company I.R. 170 ? (Wounded? Killed?)

Thanks

Chris

I have a lot of information about this action (including a list of German casualties that, sadly, does not include IR 170). Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

Hello Chris,

I do not know if it is the same man but the records show a Leutnant der Reserve Wilhelm Hurst, 2nd Company, I.R. 170, born 12 February 1893 in Diedelheim, died from wounds 14 September 1918 in the Military Hospital Abteilung Bavarian 6, Mons.

Not sure what the hospital designation means at first glance, it sounds a bit odd but this is how it appears. Hope this helps. I suspect it is the same man.

Ralph

Hi Guys,

Thanks for reading and the relies. the date of birth matches, as does the place of birth, so it must be my guy.

As I have mentioned before, I am working on a book about iron cross award documents, and have just recieved one for Hürsts award, August 1916. I am hoping to get about a page of text concerning the fighting at Gommecourt to go with the document. It could be a a description as seen from the German or British side.

All the best and

Thanks

Chris