Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T/Sub Lt Allan Newsome Bushill - A Tragic Tale

IPT

I came across a newspaper article and put together whatever I could find about him.  I suspect there were a few more twists and turns along the way.

Allan Newsome Bushill was born 13th October 1893 in Coventry, a son of Newsome Bushill, a wealthy stationery manufacturer of 'Kielder', Eaton Road Coventry.  

He attended the Moravian School for Boys from April 1906 in Neuweid, Geremany. He then became a cadet on the school ship ‘Conway’ which was moored in the Mersey. He then joined White Star Line as a merchant navy apprentice and served aboard their training vessel ‘Mersey’. (FMP)

Cadet.jpg.35d767b7bf47b82e93f0330c02bf611b.jpg

He joined the Royal Naval Reserve, for the duration of the war, as a Temporary Sub Lieutenant with seniority from 19/5/1917, becoming Temporary Acting Lieutenant 20/11/1915 and Temporary Lieutenant 19/5/1917. Comments on his service file include "carried out his duties in a very efficient manner and is a capable and zealous officer". He appears to have been discharged to shore 19/1/1919.

Service file at NAhttps://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8289270

On 10th September 1918, in the Parish Church, Great Yarmouth, Allan Newsome Bushill, a 24 year old Royal Naval Reserve Lieutenant married 22 year old Audrey Guendoline Quiggan, the daughter of Daniel Arthur Quiggan, engineer.  They were living in Tower House, Grange Road, Formby.

On 28th February 1919, after a victory ball, Bushill bought a £171 diamond ring for his wife, as well as a revolver and three cartridges.  On Formby beach, whilst she was admiring the ring, he shot her twice in the back, killing her. He then shot himself in the chest, but survived.  A letter found in his pocket explained that his father had refused to employ him in the family business.  His father-in-law had offered him employment, but he didn't feel that he would make a good engineer.  He had decided to commit suicide, but wished to spare his new wife disgrace by killing her first.  He wanted her to die happy, so had bought the ring.

paper.jpg.5839ef1b9d285e60c6f810bc2b0a3b91.jpg

He was found guilty but insane and ordered to be detained at his Majesty's pleasure.  Bushill's service record indicates that he was sent to Broadmoor.

1076064351_AudreyGrave.jpeg.87d0f1cea0ad994285bd34fa292ed87c.jpeg

On 18th December 1920, he was the beneficiary of Audrey's will.

In 1923, Allan Bushill, 29 year old traveller, of Kielder, Coventry, travelled on board "Marloch" from Glasgow to St John, New Brunswick, Canada. Country of intended residence was given as 'England'.

On 15th August 1925, Bushill married Bessie Eldret Green, aged 21, in Vancouver.  She died 19th September 1926.

On 10th February 1927, Allan Bushill, 33 year old salesman, of Kielder, Coventry, travelled on board "Marloch" from Southampton to St John, New Brunswick, Canada. Country of intended residence was given as 'Canada'

On 14th April 1927, Bushill married German-born Henriette Magdalena Rosa Wessels, aged 19, in White Rock, British Columbia.  She died 6th January 1928 in Point Grey, British Columbia. Their baby had died 2nd January 1928.

Possible marriage in King, Washington 28th April 1928 between Allan N Bushill and Mildred Leigh

In 1928, he appears in the British Columbia Gazette as a licenced life insurance agent.

On the 1930 U.S. census, Bushill is lodging in apartments at 304 South Westlake Avenue in Los Angeles, a 36 year old, widowed salesman of washing machines. 

304 South Westlake Ave, L.A. in 1909 before it was apartments.

270_marshall.jpg

In 1930, he appears in California Northern District Naturalizations, becoming a naturalized citizen, petition dated 15th September 1930.

On 16th May 1934, in Glendale, Los Angeles, he married Patricia B Mitchell from Alabama, who, at age 20, was 20 years his junior (he had understated his own age by two years). (Familysearch)

image.png.6ae34a83be07b830dd6ac248ae812c5c.png

In 1937, a Patricia Bushill, married, born  24th July 1913 in Demopolis, Alabama, can be found arriving in San Diego from New York in February 1937. Address Knickerbocker Hotel, Hollywood). She appears to have become Gilman Lee Shelton's third wife in 1938. I think she married him again in 1965.

Finally, on the 8th June 1935, whilst living at the Barker Hotel, 2000 Miramar Street, Van Nuys, L.A., he attached a hose from the exhaust of his car and committed suicide by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. (Familysearch)

death1935.jpg.9247407d05fad3b81e05832130b2b15b.jpg

The informant was Naomi Bushill, described as his divorced wife.

barker.jpg.4d45629273b3f4f364eb41609c2e53eb.jpg

Bushill is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Glendale, Los Angeles - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/136156281/allen-neusome-bushill

Edited by IPT

Good stuff.   Multiple items on BNA about this matter. He was found Not Guilty of murder by reason of insanity.  He claimed depression, hearing of voices,etc.  which may lead one to think if this was connected with his wartime services- in the manner Louis-Ferdinand Celine, the French writer plagued-as must have been so many- by recurrent mental problems. The big question would be whether they were latent and triggered or were a direct consequence of war service.

I note there is still a legal file on him at TNA, if it ever properly re-opens again in my diminishing lifetime

Murder: Bushill, Allan Newsome.

Assizes: Northern Circuit: Criminal Depositions and Case Papers. Murder: Bushill, Allan Newsome.

Held by: The National Archives, Kew - Justices of Assize, Gaol Delivery, Oyer and Terminer, and Nisi Prius
Date: 1919
Reference: ASSI 52/284
Subjects: Crime | Legal

Fascinating

There were at least two other short incarcerations in Broadmoor that I am aware of

Capt. Bowen Colthust who murdered  3 men under bizarre circumstances during the Easter Rising in Dublin in 1916. Released from Broadmoor in 1922 he settled in Canada

T/Cadet VA Hart who murdered an Irish clergyman in 1920.  He was released from Broadmoor within about 2 years and went to South Africa

I have no idea how "easy" it was for convicted murderers to get their release from Broadmoor

On a small point of detail you describe the informant of his death as his divorced wife Naomi - she does not seem to have appeared in the story

I think we may get back to an old theme- post-war mental illness.   Colthurst seems well covered, esp. his-as you say-very bizarre role in the killing of Francis Sheehy-Skeffington in 1916. This could be a long session- there were mental issues of the Great War with John Reginald Halliday Christie-Rillington Place-  and not that many years back here in the east of London a very tragic case of  a very elderly veteran of WW2 in the Far East who murdered someone after deep-down PTSD was triggered. 1919 in particular must have near dystopian in British society-any number of maimed men on the streets (Not just the street musicians and match box sellers), any number of completely traumatised families that became entirely dysfunctional with the returned of a traumatised family member, any amount of trouble by those inured to a way of life with violence as a mere detail of everyday life

6 minutes ago, corisande said:

On a small point of detail you describe the informant of his death as his divorced wife Naomi - she does not seem to have appeared in the story

Yes, he died only a year after marrying Patricia.

The death certificate appears to describe him as divorced from Naomi Bushill?

naomi.jpg.d5fc9a778347d5fcf5d4c21b2d4565ae.jpg

She is also described as the informant.

naomi2.jpg.1b59f27d43180bacbff866d9018c6882.jpg

I haven't got to the bottom of that one yet.

I think we may get back to an old theme- post-war mental illness. 

I was making more the point that they were let out of Broadmoor after a short stay, rather than taking on the question of mental illness as a result of war

His marriages were "problematic" Family Search - click - shows 3 marriages

1918 in UK to  Audrey Gwendolyn Quiggin

1925 in Canada Bessie Eldret Green (you can get cert on Mormon site)

1927 in Canada to Henriette Magdalena Rosa Wessels  (you can get cert on Mormon site)

Presumably to Naomi ? at an unknown date

1934 in Glendale, Los Angeles to   Patricia B Mitchell from Alabama (from your post above)

You may have unearthed a serial killer here!

12 minutes ago, corisande said:

His marriages were "problematic" Family Search - click - shows 3 marriages

1918 in UK to  Audrey Gwendolyn Quiggin

1925 in Canada Bessie Eldret Green (you can get cert on Mormon site)

1927 in Canada to Henriette Magdalena Rosa Wessels  (you can get cert on Mormon site)

Presumably to Naomi ? at an unknown date

1934 in Glendale, Los Angeles to   Patricia B Mitchell from Alabama (from your post above)

Bessie Eldret Bushill died 19/9/1926. No idea what happened to poor Henriette.

Edited by IPT

..and an Allan N Bushill married in King Co, Washington State on 28 Apr 1928 to Mildred Leigh. Which looks suspiciously like him

Just a couple of small corrections to the story of his early life.

He was educated in Germany at a Moravian School in Neuweid (near Koblenz) until leaving there in 1906 to become a cadet on the school ship ‘Conway’ which was moored in the Mersey. He then joined White Star Line as a merchant navy apprentice and served aboard their training vessel ‘Mersey’. He completed his apprenticeship in 1912 (I still need to check records of him completing his BOT Second Mate’s examination). - Not sure yet what White Star Line ships he served (hopefully not ‘Titanic’), then into WW1 as an RNR officer.
MB

16 minutes ago, corisande said:

..and an Allan N Bushill married in King Co, Washington State on 28 Apr 1928 to Mildred Leigh. Which looks suspiciously like him

The certificate is here - https://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/DigitalObject/Download/f29f94ad-5802-4ab6-a0c6-7284790016d9

How could you get married without giving your full name?

bushill1928sig.jpg.dee3ab9f108cf8089d5338d2eb4b15d8.jpg

bushill1934sig.jpg.e7e25150c486e1edc4e595fe582e0c30.jpg

6 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Just a couple of small corrections to the story of his early life.

He was educated in Germany at a Moravian School in Neuweid (near Koblenz) until leaving there in 1906 to become a cadet on the school ship ‘Conway’ which was moored in the Mersey. He then joined White Star Line as a merchant navy apprentice and served aboard their training vessel ‘Mersey’. He completed his apprenticeship in 1912 (I still need to check records of him completing his BOT Second Mate’s examination). - Not sure yet what White Star Line ships he served (hopefully not ‘Titanic’), then into WW1 as an RNR officer.
MB

I see what you mean. I thought there was some thing odd about the dates (FMP)

bushillschool.jpg.429c14cf9251196db5a43c261d6c822a.jpg

2 hours ago, corisande said:

Erm...

rosadeath1928.jpg.fb01d3a7a16e6b64befa2445a1228aed.jpg

Edit - Their baby had died on 2nd January 1928, so it's possibly she died from complications arising from childbirth.  Or not.

Edited by IPT

Hopefully just filling in a few gaps.

On the 1901 Census of England & Wales the 7 year old Allan N. Bushill, born Coventry , was recorded living at Eaton Road, Coventry. This was the household of his parents Newsome, (aged 40 and a Manufacturing Stationer, born London), and Emma J.,(aged 39, born Carnarvon). As well as Allan the couple also have a son Eric J.N., (5), and Alison N., (2) – both born Coventry. There are also three live in servants.

On the 1911 Census the address is shown as “Kielder”, Eaton Road, Coventry.  Father Newsome is now shown as a Letterpress & Lithograph Printer.

There are a number of parish churchs in Yarmouth, but given the comparative social standing of bride and groom I suspect it took place in the Minster, St Nicholas. Had a check through my notes on the local papers but doesn’t look like I picked up on it.

However St Nicholas is confirmed in this Marriage announcement which appeared in the edition of the Liverpool Echo dated 12 October 1918.

2145955749_LiverpoolEcho12October1918BMDannouncementsBushillQuiggansourcedFMP.png.98c8afae047a7a797eef4242903a438f.png

(Sourced Find MyPast)

Patricia Bushill divorced her husband after six weeks , (and so probably survived by the looks of things). This report was in the La Crosse Tribune and Leader Press, dated 13 January 1935.

59583816_LaCrosseTribuneandLeaderPress13January1935page6sourcedFMP.png.8ce3b1e9c388baed1263641ffc32b1e0.png

(Sourced Find MyPast)

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Add sources

Just filling in a few more blanks,

His service record show that he began the war as a merchant navy officer aboard the cargo ship S.S. Matazan owned by Henry Fernie & Sons (Liverpool) before being commissioned into the RNR on 22 May 1915 and serving on the armed merchant cruiser HMS Otway and the monitor M.22. He ended his war as a Lieutenant in the submarine service (HM S/M V.1 based at Harwich). 

MB

Edited by KizmeRD
M.22

Thanks gents.

I wondered how young Patricia Mitchell had managed to travel to France numerous times as a child. The daughter of W.G. Mitchell, the Alabama lumber king!

From the Van Nuys News of 10th June 1935 (wrongly named as A.M. Bushnell).  He left a note bequeathing his body to medical science.

His divorced wife was informed. Unclear if this is Patricia or "Naomi".

VanNuys.jpg.a496573f8f5beb9b8c2413c506005f04.jpg

I could not get any further, but this is what we have. It does not look good and that may not be the whole list

It looks to me that he married a last time to "Naomi" and then divorced her. The death cert appears to be signed "Naomi Bushill" and the marriage cert to Miss Mitchell was signed by her as "Patricia B Mitchell"

1918 Sep 10 married in UK to  Audrey Gwendolyn Quiggin

1919 Feb 28 He murdered her

1925 Aug 15 married in Canada Bessie Eldret Green (you can get cert on Mormon site).  He is living in Longview, Washington with her in 1925 & 1926.

1926 Sep 19 She died

1927 Apr 14. n Canada to Henriette Magdalena Rosa Wessels  (you can get cert on Mormon site). 1927 sees him living in Washington State with Rose

1928 Jan 6 she died

1928 Apr 28 married Mildred Leigh in Washington State (probably). He crossed from Canada to Washington State on 13 Apr 1928 and gave a Seattle address and is "widowed"

No idea what happened to her

1930 in Los Angeles and "widowed" in census

1934 May 16. in Glendale, Los Angeles to   Patricia B Mitchell from Alabama

1934 she divorced him after 6 weeks (Jan 1935 divorce reported in papers)

Presumably married to Naomi ? at an unknown date. It is not clear if Naomi is Patricia B Mitchell. But if she were then it is odd to be signing herself "Naomi" on the Death Cert. She signed herself "Patricia" on her marriage cert

1935 Jun 9. He committed suicide in USA

I doubt that there is any connection, but his first cousin Thomas Hennderson Bushill shot himself in 12 April 1935 in England

32 minutes ago, corisande said:

I could not get any further, but this is what we have. It does not look good and that may not be the whole list

It looks to me that he married a last time to "Naomi" and then divorced her. The death cert appears to be signed "Naomi Bushill" and the marriage cert to Miss Mitchell was signed by her as "Patricia B Mitchell"

1918 Sep 10 married in UK to  Audrey Gwendolyn Quiggin

1919 Feb 28 He murdered her

1925 Aug 15 married in Canada Bessie Eldret Green (you can get cert on Mormon site).  He is living in Longview, Washington with her in 1925 & 1926.

1926 Sep 19 She died

1927 Apr 14. n Canada to Henriette Magdalena Rosa Wessels  (you can get cert on Mormon site). 1927 sees him living in Washington State with Rose

1928 Jan 6 she died

1928 Apr 28 married Mildred Leigh in Washington State (probably). He crossed from Canada to Washington State on 13 Apr 1928 and gave a Seattle address and is "widowed"

No idea what happened to her

1930 in Los Angeles and "widowed" in census

1934 May 16. in Glendale, Los Angeles to   Patricia B Mitchell from Alabama

1934 she divorced him after 6 weeks (Jan 1935 divorce reported in papers)

Presumably married to Naomi ? at an unknown date. It is not clear if Naomi is Patricia B Mitchell. But if she were then it is odd to be signing herself "Naomi" on the Death Cert. She signed herself "Patricia" on her marriage cert

1935 Jun 9. He committed suicide in USA

I doubt that there is any connection, but his first cousin Thomas Hennderson Bushill shot himself in 12 April 1935 in England

Slight problem on that timeline. It would seem likely that the newspaper report of his divorce by Patrica was fairly contemporary. And if their circumstances , (and her apparent wealth), can be seen as an indicator for how long it took a divorce to come through in California for what might be deemed an abusive relationship, then pushing it even by his own standards to have married, divorced and taken his own life in what could amount to barely five months. This is however the period between his marriage to Mildred and that to Patricia where he could have fitted another marriage in!

Cutting the information in a slightly different way.

Marriage 1: 10th September 1918, murders wife 28th February 1919.

Length of time since last marriage ended: n\a

Length of marriage: 5 months

Marriage 2: 15th August 1925, wife dies 19th September 1926.

Length of time since last marriage ended: 7 and a half years but part of time in Broadmoor

Length of marriage: 12 months

Marriage 3: 14th April 1927, wife dies 6th January 1928.

Length of time since last marriage ended: 6 months

Length of marriage: 8 months

Marriage 4: 28th April 1928, wife dead by 1st April 1930 (U.S. Census date).

Length of time since last marriage ended: 3 months

Length of marriage: no more than 23 months

Marriage 5: 16th May 1934, wife divorces him by 13th January 1935.

Length of time since last marriage ended: At least four years

Length of marriage: 7 months – but they only live together 6 weeks

Marriage 6?: ??/?/1935, wife “Naomi” divorces him pre 9th June 1935.

Length of time since last marriage ended: ???

Length of marriage: ??? months

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

22 minutes ago, PRC said:

Slight problem on that timeline

I would not disagree with that, but there is still Naomi to explain

But standing back from it

• He murdered his first wife
  • was sent to Broadmoor for the rest of his days
  • was released within about 3 years which retrospectively does not seem a sound decision
  • was then the husband of a number of young women, at least 2 of whom died in a short time of marrying him
  • he killed himself

I doubt that he going to be able to prove that he was a mass murderer. But I don't think I would have been happy for my daughter to marry him

It's interesting that the person who supplied his information didn't know details and got some of it slightly wrong.  That's why he is described on four different certificates and registers as Allen Neusome Bushill, which also appears on the records at Forest Lawn Cemetery. His father is described as Thomas, not Newsome. His date of birth is not known. His mother's maiden name is not known and her birthplace is wrongly guessed as Coventry.  It does all point to someone who hardly knows him.

Naomi remains a complete mystery. It was an incredibly popular name for young women in L.A. at the time.  The handwriting on the death cert. is appalling and I can't read the address beyond 2523 ???? St, LA.

naomi2.jpg.1b59f27d43180bacbff866d9018c6882.jpg

There are other unresolved details, such as what happened to Mildred, and why he gave his age at first marriage as 31 (c1925) on the 1930 census, but it feels like we've reached the end of the road on this one.

On the 12th December 1921  from Broadmoor  Bushill applied for a copy of his Masters and Mates Certificate !

1139407524_b1.jpg.4e81eaa27314c2010f223ca8e018ebc4.jpg

b2.jpg.9001e39053ac631f6f72fb92f846a423.jpg

How great is that? More information keeps appearing!
We now know the names of the ships he served on from 1912 (after he completed his mercantile marine apprenticeship).

Only no evidence he was a qualified Master Mariner - he’s only requesting a duplicate copy of his First Mates certificate of competency.

(As 1921 coincides with the date of his discharge from Broadmoor, perhaps he was planning at that time to resume his former career?)

MB

On 05/10/2020 at 20:08, IPT said:

On 14th April 1927, Bushill married German-born Henriette Magdalena Rosa Wessels, aged 19, in White Rock, British Columbia.  She died 6th January 1928 in Point Grey, British Columbia. Their baby had died 2nd January 1928.

According to the Vancouver Sunday Province of 08 January 1928, on ancestry, Mrs Rosa Bushill passed away at the General Hospital and was interred in Ocean View Burial Park.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/499275670/

Bushill.jpg.5d0abb15e2d90e42b38a90e8305af7f7.jpg

JP