Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Pickelhaube'-identification

Robert Missinne

spacer.png

Hello everyone,

Due to circumstances it has been a long time since I was still active on this forum. But here I am back with a request for help.

Together with my son I am working on the renovation of a former monastery / orphanage / school in our village.
During the works we discovered a pre-war cellar that was partially destroyed during WWI and filled with war rubble after the war.
We are now emptying that basement with the intention of making a new basement in it.

During the war that cellar was used as a shelter. That is why we have made some discoveries. The best find was the pin helmet you see in the photo. The photo shows the helmet after half an hour of rinsing with water and some toothbrushing to remove the metal parts from the mud (the ball on which the helmet is in the photo is not part of the find ;-)
Is there anyone who can help identify the unit?

Thanks for the info!

Robert

Hello,

It's a helmet for a Prussian Reservist or Landwehrmann (the cross in the middle of the Prussian Eagle). Unless you find some stamps inside the helmet which can still be read, there's no way of finding out to which exact unit this helmet was issued.

Jan

This image courtesy of the Kaiser’s bunker seems to show a pristine example of a helmet for the Reserve.

49C65538-6A35-45FA-A3BD-811F1BFB5809.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

This image courtesy of the Kaiser’s bunker seems to show a pristine example of a helmet for the Reserve.

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

That's it!

6 minutes ago, Robert Missinne said:

That's it!

I imagine it was probably a soldier’s souvenir.  In the first two years of the war they were immensely popular to send or take home, rather like the fascination for Luger pistols during WW2.  Image courtesy of Canadian War Museum photo archive.

AA784F0A-AF12-483A-8750-7823ADD1C337.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE