Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cement House Cemetery photo request

jay dubaya

Hoping a kind soul may have images of all the headstones in Plot 1 Row K or may be in a position to photograph them for me please- I believe there are 37 headstones commemorating 43 soldiers. Any help will be of great assistance and much appreciated.

Cheers

Jon

Brilliant, thank you Jmrh, looks like they may all be there, I have clearly undervalued this site.

Jon

For others who may be interested - As per our other involvement in another thread [Aurel's original question has been answered there] - see now about page 3

It is noticeable that there are 22 names registered against 1.K.3

:-) M

42 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

I have clearly undervalued this site.

Find A Grave certainly has helped me a lot. :-) :-) M

The War Graves Photographic Project can be handy too https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/search - but a bit more tricky to see clear photos without paying hard cash for them! Not complaining - just observing.

22 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Hoping a kind soul may have images of all the headstones in Plot 1 Row K or may be in a position to photograph them for me please- I believe there are 37 headstones commemorating 43 soldiers. Any help will be of great assistance and much appreciated.

Yep, that's what I counted before I noticed you had already done it. ;-/ Doh!!!!!

See the other thread - I've put up an analysis

I was about to set out for my bike ride (after Liège - Bastogne - Liège) to Cement House Cemetery at 5.05 p.m., but right when I set foot on the pedal, it started to rain ... terribly ! Sorry. (I can't go by car, because of the roadworks ...)

(I can't guarantee it will be tomorrow Monday. And if so it will not in perfect conditions, for the row is facing SE and if I want the sun to be in the ideal position, that will be early, and before noon. (If the sun ...)

Aurel

14 hours ago, Aurel Sercu said:

I was about to set out for my bike ride (after Liège - Bastogne - Liège) to Cement House Cemetery at 5.05 p.m., but right when I set foot on the pedal, it started to rain ... terribly ! Sorry. (I can't go by car, because of the roadworks ...)

(I can't guarantee it will be tomorrow Monday. And if so it will not in perfect conditions, for the row is facing SE and if I want the sun to be in the ideal position, that will be early, and before noon. (If the sun ...)

Enjoy your ride - hope the weather is better / sun is right.

Perhaps you can check out my remote effort - in your other thread.

???

M.,

No sunshine in the Flemish sky. And it the sun is out later this afternoon, it will not be in the best position (I mean : for contrast and readability).

But again : I am not sure if I will find the time (before dark ...)

Anyway, I'll take pics of the whole row, individually, from left to right. And if you want me to do other things, let me know, if possible before 1 p.m. (my time - noon yours ?)

Aurel

1 hour ago, Aurel Sercu said:

And if you want me to do other things, let me know, if possible before 1 p.m. (my time - noon yours ?)

Aurel,

Nothing special for me, but thanks for the offer - it is jay dubaya who opened this thread

[I don't know why really - other than that particular 1.K row is a bit of an odd one - especially with so many names against K.3 - and Tom Tulloch-Marshall also seemed to have an interest on your other 'Question' thread.]

However it was so wet and horrid here yesterday that I too stayed in and so thought I'd try and help out and see if I could line up the 1.K graves from left to right off Find a Grave photos [see my effort in your other thread]  Hope I got them right [or thereabouts!!!]

I am sure we will all be interested in your findings and any observations you make.

Enjoy your ride - when you eventually get the time/weather/sun!

Take care.

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Matlock,

You wrote : "Enjoy your ride - when you eventually get the time/weather/sun! Take care."

Well, here is the Report. And in a nutshell : Half a miracle !...And ... a personal record broken !.

I told you : it would be a busy afternoon. And also because when coming home from Ypres I first wanted to see today's stage of the Giro d'Italia, finishing on the Etna. And I did see it ! (Sorry, Geraint Thomas ... Not a good day ...)

I started the bike ride to Langemark at 4.55 p.m. (my time) Slowly, for I knew, looking at the Boezinge sun (yest the sun was shining!) that I would arrive too late for the sun to be in the ideal position (which is at what I call "the 11 o'clock position", allowing perfect readability of the letters).

But when climbing (!) Pilkem Ridge I realized that maybe if I hurried ... ?

Fortunately after the "top" of Pilkem Ridge it went down ... I flung open the gate and rushed to Plot I Row K.

And saw that .... if I had arrived 5 minutes later the sun would have disappeared behind the headstones. And this would make the inscriptions unreadable, especially since the chiselling is not deep in that row.

Never have I slid faster on my knees through the wet (!) grass of a cemetery. Afterwards I saw on my camera that I took approx. 40 photos in 3 minutes and 10 seconds ! (That is an average of less than 5 second per photo ... And I have a rather slow compact camera...)

Which means that I broke my record !

And all this  in spite of wet knees, and a troublesome tree casting ugly shadows with its leaves, which the storm wind of the past days had not blown off ...).

When I left the plot and the row - my knees getting drier a little - I saw that the sun had already started to disappear behind the headstones...

I will spare you the details of my bike ride back to Boezinge. Except : an unpleasant headwind .... And first a slope up Pilkem Ridge ... (Different direction from 31 July 1917.)

Sorry you had to get your way through his irrelevant introduction...

So, now serious : there are 37 headstones. Six of them have two names. This means : 43 names in total.

(I can give you the headstones with two names if you want me to.)

After this (or tomorrow ?) I'll WeTransfer the photos to Jay Dubaya, who started this Topic.

You will understand that I cannot post all these pics on the GWF, but I can send them to anyone who may be interested. (Tom T. T. ?)) The whole load is approx. 45 MB, so I will have to use WeTransfer. If interested, just e-mail or PM your e-mail address.

I may post one or two photos of this afternoon's C.H.C. expedition after this.

Aurel

Aurel

42 minutes ago, Aurel Sercu said:

Well, here is the Report. And in a nutshell : Half a miracle !...And ... a personal record broken !.

Aurel,

Very well done.

The little soldier is very poignant.

Thank you Aurel the mages are greatly appreciated and I hope the wet knees didn’t need too much explaining to the boss ;) 

I shall post some analysis of plot 1 row K shortly when the internet allows...I can’t do it from my phone.

Does the little soldier travel with you or was he a resident at Morris’ headstone?

Edited by jay dubaya

11 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

I shall post some analysis of plot 1 row K shortly when the internet allows

I wouldn't post your analysis in this 'Photo request' thread as I think it is rather ephemeral with deletion after 90 days of inactivity

For more permanence I might suggest perhaps in Aurel's other thread [where I earlier put my listing using remote photographic means]

Looking forward to what you derive.

Jay D. (Jon)

You made me wonder: Has a man ever come home with wet knees and heard his wife ask : "Do you have a m*str*ss ?!" (And please do nor interpret this as : If you have a m., always make sure your knees are wet when coming home !  :-)))

Serious now : No, the little soldier did not travel with me. He was standing guard indeed at Morris' grave. Normally when seeing something left at a grave by a visitor I check the  Visitors Book, hoping to see who it was and/or from where. But I ... forgot. And now I wonder : was it a relative ? Was it left there at random ?..)

(It is not easy to keep your short-term-memory working when ... your knees are wet !)

Aurel