Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sussex military hospitals identification

Colin M

Amongst my grandparents' possessions I have found the following three photos of what appear to be two different military hospitals. My grandparents lived in the Lewes/Eastbourne area so I suspect they could be hospitals in Sussex. The only other information I can add is that my grandmother, Elsie Margaret Muddell (nee Rugg), served on the nursing staff of School Hill House Military Hospital (I think in Lewes) and my grandfather, Percy Stanley Muddell, served in the 2nd Eastern General Hospital (Portland Road, Brighton?) RAMC (TF) in the early part of the war.

Can someone assist in identifying the photos and even maybe tell me something more about my grandparents time in the hospitals? I know about my grandfather's subsequent time in the RGA.

Thanks in anticipation. Colin.Hospital_1.jpg.19e5e3076863c04d1e2ffc84f8d96c61.jpgHospital_2.jpg.b0a1baacf8285623e48c6f8ea67a32a0.jpg 

5 hours ago, CharlesPeter said:

The third photo of all the staff on the steps looks to me to be the Crown Court in Lewes.

image.png.36d2eeeefedfd2c2d870c067afca5133.png

Thanks, and well identified! The building hasn't changed much over the years........................

Colin.

Not much good on uniforms etc. but in 1st photo some of the headgear almost gives them a Crimean look (to me). Not saying it is but could it be pre-war? Man sitting front right almost looks like a manikin.

TEW

• Admin

The VAD head wear I think dates the photos to pre mid 1915. 

Thanks Tew and Michelle Young for your input. I agree that the first photo seems to be pre-war. Still hoping someone can identify the hospitals the staff were attached to.....................

Colin.

• Admin

Top photo, has VAD nurses I think, from memory 1908 was when the VAD was founded, ( I stand to be corrected) but could the patients be refugees? 

The first photo shows Belgian soldiers. The 'top hat' of the man sitting second from left is a distictive Belgian item. This would date the photo to late 1914. The second photo is later and shows British soldiers, with some in Hospital Blue uniforms.

The third photo appears to show WAAC's, although I have no idea why they are all wearing white coats.

Regards,

Alf McM

I don't think they are WAACs.  The footwear seems to suggest Women's Land Army or Forestry Corps or soething of that nature. 

I think you're right about the Women's Land Army. 'Tracing your Service Women's Ancestors' illustrates and describes a circular badge being worn by the Land Army Argricultural Section below the left lapel, which appears on most of the women's uniforms.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks to all of you for your input. Now knowing that the third photo is of Lewes Crown Court and the women pictured are Womens Land Army, I did some further research of my own. I  found the exact same photo on an excellent website (sadly now archived), East Sussex WW1. The event was the medal presentation and "stand down" march in Lewes of the East Sussex WLA in 1919. 

Colin M.

3 minutes ago, Colin M said:

Thanks to all of you for your input. Now knowing that the third photo is of Lewes Crown Court and the women pictured are Womens Land Army, I did some further research of my own. I  found the exact same photo on an excellent website (sadly now archived), East Sussex WW1. The event was the medal presentation and "stand down" march in Lewes of the East Sussex WLA in 1919. 

Colin M.

Thanks Colin,

It's great to get an explanation for a photograph.

Regards,

Alf McM

The first photo shows on this link as taken in 1915 at Hill House Military Hospital, Lewes. The link also includes a version of the same photo but without hats.

http://www.reevesarchive.co.uk/SSTAGPIV/17.html

It was taken by Edward Reeves Photography of 159 High Street, Lewes founded in 1858 & still trading from the same premesis.

Colin,

I would say that the the location of the second photo (above) is the same as the first.

Regards,

JMB

Thanks to Travers61, the Edward Reeves photo archive confirms that the first two photos are of (School) Hill House Military Hospital, Lewes, which is where I know my grandmother served. I have researched further and found that it opened in October 1914, staffed by "Red Cross volunteers", and closed in December 1918 after treating some 800 soldiers. The patients wore a light blue uniform and were principally Belgian and British soldiers. Ellen Blanche Knapton served as matron throughout the hospital's existence and was highly thought of, receiving the Royal Red Cross (2nd Class) in April 1918. She died shortly after the hospital closed, having contracted Spanish influenza and worn out by her efforts. The first photo is thought to show her - back row standing, third from the right?

Thanks again for all the helpful input to my post. Colin M.

12 hours ago, T, Fazzini said:

Do you have pictures of your grandparents in hospital uniforms?

I have photos of my grandfather in what might be his RAMC uniform. My grandmother is one of the WLA's in the photo taken at Lewes Crown Court earlier in this topic.