Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sutton veny nurse

djakacg

Hi everyone I wonder if anyone knows of personnel for Sutton Veny hospital my wife collects postcards and one arrived with the following Addressee

Miss R Hicks

sisters quarters

military hospital

Sutton Veny

Wilts

I believe the postmark is dec 1917

many thanks for reading 

David Gee

At a guess, perhaps a member of the Australian Army Nursing Service, with most patients at  Sutton Veny Military Hospital in1917 being members of the Australian Imperial Force.

Sadly my rudimentary search of Australian records failed to turn up anything useful,but others may have more luck.

thank you for taking time to look I am thinking she may be English ,the card is signed Amy, I have found a Ruby hicks born 1880 with an elder sister Amy  born  in Cornwall but I am unsure whether she was a nurse ,or orderly whatever they are called , but I have seen references to the salvation army and wonder if the sisters quarters mentioned could be that, but the more I consider the more I get confused

Edited by djakacg
type error

That's good lateral thinking. I don't have a reference to a Salvation Army hut at Sutton Veny, which is not to say there wasn't one. But the Army did have a hut at nearby Corton Camp.  I would still be inclined to think in terms of a nursing sister.

I infer that the postmark is not clear - and perhaps that you can't make out from which town it was sent? Any clues from the scene shown on the card - assuming that it was a picture postcard?

it was a birthday wish and the sender also wished miss Hicks a happy xmas i hope the photo attached may mean something

455465191_hickspostcard.jpg.71bd2732ec08c8fd93ee52aa1f18aa3b.jpg

As ever, I'm prepared to be corrected, but I think that the postmark reads "COLERNE", near Chippenham and 25 miles from Sutton Veny.  Is "Rube" a form for "Ruby"?

And if the date is  "Dec 1917" (Is that a "2" before "Dec"), then you have an idea of when Rube Hicks was born.

I expect that this is a complete red herring, but i'll put it here anyway, just in case. 

A.C. Cole is Annie Catherine Cole, so probably not Amy, and I don't think the handwriting is a match.

WW1-War-Pledge-Victory-Abstain-From-Drink-Recipient.jpg

Perhaps this could be Ruby, born in Colerne and sister of Amy?   https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_11860_0107_03?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.212231382.350611276.1601401770-119227612.1483026526&pId=43988711

From a family tree she appears to be Freda Ruby Adele Hicks, born 28 December 1896. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/1408293/person/232114121668/facts

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
info added

I don't have a reference to a Salvation Army hut at Sutton Veny,

There is a reference here:

SUTTON VENY.pdf

Thanks for that, thought the reference is to a Salvation Army hut at Sand Hill Camp, outside Longbridge Deverill, a couple of miles from Sutton Veny.  It'll still make an interesting addition to my notes. But you unintentionally rub salt in a wound. I've just published a non-military book on Amazon after several"careful" reads for errors, only to realise belatedly that I'd left a "c" out of "Piccadilly" - which is what I did in Wiltshire and the Great War :wub:. The context there was a reference to the  feature at least two days a week at New Zealand camp - certainly at Sling -  of "Piccadilly', with all squads assembling at 12.25 and, headed by a model platoon of war-hardened soldiers from France, marching past the camp commandant.

Edited by Moonraker

11 hours ago, IPT said:

If so, Amy's own card was quite late.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/6366905.stm

This sort of thing crops up now and then, with some "joker" putting a cheap old card back into the postal system. I wonder if the Swindon sorting office in 2007 was in the same building as the one in 1917?

the card I have came in a collection of odds and sods that came with a postcard my wife purchased for her glamour card collection, she was about to cut it up to use with her craftwork when we spotted the address and thought about researching a little

13 hours ago, alf mcm said:

hi Alf Mcm thank you for this unfortunately my sub with ancestry has run out but if I restart it I will look it up

• 2 weeks later...

hello again Alf Mcm  I used the ancestry free access to look up the ruby hicks you spoke of and as you say she looks a strong candidate especially when I noticed the address was Chapel house colony , along with the  abstination card from bath would seem to tally up