Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW

Raster Scanning

Bit of a long shot this.

I have read in a diary kept by an RE at Gallipoli, that he met a man from Bedford (his home town) who was serving with the Ceylon Planters Rifles, he also quotes he came from Newnham St.

I am sure there is a way to identify this man, probably if he survived and remained with this unit the Absent voters lists are best, but as I am a long way from Bedford this is not an option at the moment.

Just in case he was killed, I wondered if some kind person would check SDGW to see if anyone from Bedford is listed from this unit.

As I said, a long shot.

Many thanks.

John.

John

The medal index cards on the NA website list 250 CPRC officers and men, one of whom is almost certainly going to be yours. You will need a kind soul from the Bedford area who is prepared to check the Bedford street directories for you though!

Terry Reeves

Steve/Terry.

Thank you very much, it was a long shot!

Terry, I guess I will wait until I am next home visiting the folks. looks like I will be spending some time in the record office.

Thanks again.

John.

John,

There's nothing CPR in the absent voters list for Newnham Street, although there are a couple of territorial REs. None of the names in that road match any entry in the National Archives either so none of them transferred.

Good luck !

David

John,

I've had lots of experience trying to track a person without a name. Not that I've found him yet, but I have developed a few alternate routes.

One would be the quoted web page:

Historical Directories

You can turn your search around, using the family names found on the street in 1914. I also noted, while I was looking up Newnham Street, that there is also a Newnham in the Goldington Parish.

I have 3 images from the directory, if you would like me to send them directly to you.

Karen

Thanks for the look up David & Karen, I now realise I have wasted your time as I wrote my post from memory (bad mistake). It was not Newnham Avenue but Goldington Avenue, really sorry for your trouble.

The man whose diary I am looking at was Thomas Bell from Bower St and was a TF RE.

By great fortune I was contacted by his Grandson in Australia after he read my Gt Uncles Gallipoli diary on the mother site.

His Grandfather must have worked with my Gt Uncle as the following extracts will show (both were attached to the Headquarters Signal Coy, A& NZ Army Corps, Gallipoli).

Diary of John Wainwright (My Gt Uncle)

“Fri 16 Apr 1915. Most magnificent sunrise. Expected to go ashore but didn't. Sheldrake fell down steps and was taken to hospital. Gave letters to Lt Genge for censorship. He informs me we are now under Major Wagstaffe."

Diary of Thomas Bell

“Fri 16 Apr 1915. Still on B & B, very hot and tiring, nothing to do, Corp Sheldrake fell down steps, in Hospital.

Diary of JW.

" Mon 3 May 1915. Main party landed. Major Evans, Sapper Evans and Dr Battrick wounded by shrapnel. Glorious weather. Received biscuits from Mother. On duty from 8 to 10pm".

Diary of TB.

Mon 3 May 1915. HQ arrived, Major Evans wounded in leg, Sapp Battrick and Lance Corp Evans shot through stomach.

My Gt Uncle is also mentioned by name in one entry.

They were all part of the TF Western Signal Service and had moved to Haynes Park from Liverpool in late 1914. Bell must have joined them when they were already in Bedfordshire. All original members have 5 digit numbers starting 78, making it quite easy to trace them.

Anyway back to the post.

“June 2nd. Met a Chap in the Ceylon Tea (sic) Planters Rifles, who lives in Goldington Avenue".

“June 3rd. Had a letter from Tom Guest, Cecil and George, also Bed's Times. Passed it on to the chap in the C.P.R."

Dear Karen.

Thank you for the link, a very useful resource that I have bookmarked.

Thanks again (and sorry) to you all.

John.

John,

The entry for Bell is Thomas Poole Ball 32 Bower Street - 78276 Dvr 22 Sig Co RE.

Can't see any CPR in Goldington Avenue ! Only "foreign" unit appears to be the Garwhal Rifles.

I was interested in your note about the Signals Coy because I have a SWB to a Beds Yeoman and which I thought was his only entitlement until I did a bit of research and found that he had re-enlisted into the REs with a 78 number. I managed to find his papers at NA and he joined in Liverpool (although he was living in Bedford) in late 1914. He went on to earn a 14/15 trio in German East Africa as a wireless engineer. I wasn't sure what the number signified other than a signal company but you've added to that, so this short thread has helped us both to a degree. Any idea where I can get some more information on the unit ?

A quick look through other parts of the Bedford AVL revealed a number of '78s'.

Regards

David