Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Orders of Combat - Hill 70, 1917

GrandsonMichael

At the CEF Study Group Forum we're working on a pilot study to determine

how much info we can gather on the Battle of Hill 70, which was strategically important for the following attack on Lens.

Time period: 15th August - 25th August, 1917.

I have encountered a problem whilst compiling a list of relevant War Diary entries:

An Order of Combat is needed to do effective research.

Question: what is the correct definition of Orders of Combat?

For instance: only units directly involved in the assault or does one add supporting units, etc.

Thanks in advance for help on this issue.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

I can see that the problem is where do you stop listing units in support.

I've never heard of the term 'Order of Combat' before, but what it sounds like is what is now termed Order of Battle (normally abbreviated to Orbat).

I suppose one way would be to start with the Canadian Corps HQ orders for;

a) 1st Division, and

B) 2nd Division.

Those orders should have a distribution list for other units that would have been placed under command or in support for the operation, including for example R.F.C. Squadrons. It would should include all the units temporarily placed under operational and administrative control of Canadian Corps.

The other orders worth investigating would be from G.O.C. Royal Artillery, Canadian Corps (was it Morrison?). Those orders would have the Barrage plan, which should detail all the Artillery units involved.

Don't forget the Royal Engineers and their burning oil!

regards,

Chris Henschke

Hi Chris,

Thanks for pointing out my stupid typo (I seem to have developed a habit of thinking up new expressions) and for the information you provided. I’ll repost this to avoid any more confusion. Thanks for seeing what I’m getting at.

I did start out with the 1st Division, which has a very comprehensive distribution list indeed. After that I checked the 2nd Division which is nowhere near as detailed. Ditto 4th Division.

The same goes for other units like Brigades and Battalions. That's when I realised one really needs an Orbat first before digging into the War Diaries, looks like I’ll have to go on doing it the other way round after all… but I'm still looking for a workable definition.

I'll certainly look up G.O.C. Royal Artillery, hadn't thought of barrage maps! Ditto the Royal Engineers.

Just had a quick look up and the R.A. W/D’s are very detailed indeed.

By the way I think you must be referring to the special companies of the Royal Engineers who projected more than 3500 drums of gas on Lens to augment the gas shelling by the artillery, or am I missing something here?

I noticed your interests, are you familiar with Sir Arthur Currie’s address at the Joint Meeting with Canadian Club, August 29, 1919: The Last Hundred Days of the War?

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Chris,

Back again, you certainly know your stuff.

Found the part about the burning oil you referred to forming a smoke screen at the onset of the attack on the 15th August.

The Royal Engineers were positively lethal.....

Cheers,

Michael