Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POWs at Schneidermuhl attending funeral

I came across this photos recently and thought it might be of interest. My grandfather was a prisoner at Schneidermuhl from about February 1918. He is in this picture along with some other prisoners at what looks like a funeral. I can only make out the name Alfred Davies on the cross. I found a record of Alfred Davies of the The King's (Liverpool Regiment) who died on the 26th November 1918 and is buried at Poznan War cemetery. Could it be the same person? I wonder who the others are. There's a man in a top hat and a woman on the right hand side. 

My grandfather didn't talk much about the war but he mentioned how one of the guards would turn a blind eye while they scavenged the potato skins out of the bins.  

POW.jpg

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, Doyler said:

I found a record of Alfred Davies of the The King's (Liverpool Regiment) who died on the 26th November 1918 and is buried at Poznan War cemetery.

Welcome to the Forum Doyler.

The Alfred Davies you spotted was number 359469 which looks a fair fit with the number on the cross. He was also Liverpool Scottish, which matches the cross. With a death just after the end of the war it may explain the full attendance.

ICRC have this on their records:

C_G1_E_04_01_0094_0195.JPG.5214bff6f4987b2746f17eb756607a34.JPG