Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Military Cross Citation

Guest zimjohn

I am trying to trace details of a Military Cross awarded to Capt (later Maj) George Stamp Taylor, 17th Northumberland Fusiliers, probably between 1915 and 1917. I'd apreciate any help that can be offered.

Are you sure about his regiment?

17 Sept. 1917

T./Capt. (A./Maj.) George Stamp Taylor. R.E.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on several occasions, one notable instance being when he was in charge of a large "Labour Company" working party

engaged in constructing light railways. They were subjected to heavy fire. By his coolness and presence of mind they were conducted out of the shelled area without any casualties, although the bombardment was intense. He subsequently displayed very great gallantry in personally digging out men who had been buried by shell fire and in cutting trenches across No Man's Land under very trying conditions, in which he set a very fine example of energy and courage under fire.

Steve

This fits in with what I know about him. He served with C Coy, 17th Northumberland Fusiliers, and I understand that the Battalion served as a Pioneer Unit with GHQ Railway Construction Troops.

Could I ask where you got the citation from, and whether there is a service number available?

He originally served with the 3rd Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry in South Africa, and I have been trying to track his service history down for the intervening years.

Thanks.