Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

identify the Uniform

Pat Twomey

This is 2nd Lt Noel Daniel Nunan who transferred from the CEF to become a RAF cadet in March 1918 and became a 2nd Lt in August 1918. He was KIA in North Russia in Feb 1919.

I am trying to date the time the photo was taken. Would be grateful if someone could let me know if this is a Cadet uniform or a 2nd Lt uniform.

image.png.b1c2b3a473636b9907cc74941ac5fb1d.png

RAF Officer Cadet. 

BTW, you say he left the CEF in March to join the RAF, but the RAF only came into existence on 1 April 1918, so he must have joined the RFC for a short time before the RFC and RNAS amalgamated to form the RAF

EDIT: he's wearing an Observer's wing above his L beast pocket 

Edited by headgardener

16 minutes ago, headgardener said:

RAF Officer Cadet. 

This is incorrect - he is wearing the original April 1918 type uniform in khaki of a 2nd Lieutenant (eagles on the sleeves but no braid plus single gilt metal upright rank stripe either side of his cap badge).

1 minute ago, Andrew Upton said:

This is incorrect - he is wearing the original April 1918 type uniform in khaki of a 2nd Lieutenant (eagles on the sleeves but no braid plus single gilt metal upright rank stripe either side of his cap badge).

Ah, thank you for the correction. So it postdates August 1918 (assuming that's when he received his RAF commission). 

'Flight' of 12 September 1918 carries the announcement:

The following Flt. Cadets are granted temp, commns. as Sec. Lieuts. (Obs. Officers):—

N. D. Nunan

Sept. 1st.

This is confirmed by the Air Force List for February 1919 which shows 2nd Lieut Nunan being appointed an Observer Officer on 1 September 1918.

Since he has his half-wing up, the photograph will have presumably have been taken after that date.

Graeme

Folks I really appreciate the information you provided. This really narrows down the date of the photo to sometime between when he was appointed as an Observer Officer on 1 September 1918 and when he embarked from Dundee for Archangel on 21st September 1918.

I see he has a walking stick in his hand was this usual for Officers in the RAF? Just asking because he was wounded in the leg on the Western Front and I thought that maybe he was using a stick for support.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Pat

Edited by Pat Twomey

• 1 month later...

You've probably already seen his Canadian Attestation papers and service records?

https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B7386-S016

Wounded at Vimy Ridge in April 1917 but numerous other minor complaints, which wouldn't warrant a walking stick. Given that the gunshot wound was to the left thigh and that he's holding that staff in the right hand I'd imagine it to be an officers' stick.

(The original vitis of the Roman centurion was for use as a disciplinary tool, long after which the 20th century's King's Regulations had replaced with various field punishments etc). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2020 at 16:40, WingCo said:

I am certain that he is holding the RAF officers' swagger stick which many of them were photographed with at that time. Peter (ex-RAF)

I don’t think it is a swagger stick actually.  The swagger stick at that time was the province of other ranks only.  Commissioned officers generally carried a walking length cane, both in the Army and the early RAF.

Short, usually leather covered swagger sticks were used by RAF officers much later, from the 1930s.  They were not issued and had to be purchased as part of an officers kitting out.  Typically British to make you pay rather than the taxpayer.  Even soldiers had to buy their own, albeit at heavily subsidised rates via profits from regimental institutes (precursors to NAAFI).

9323651F-088A-47B9-BE95-19A29166A587.jpeg

671D0F2F-51BF-4C91-9A19-F091EE746441.jpeg

F6B3B5E2-B21F-4CF4-B718-25DAACC5AC27.jpeg

156DB745-BACA-4524-B015-A5B521B27105.jpeg

D7C69546-687E-4560-8305-D4EF20485F1C.jpeg

61A597E7-4153-42AE-9666-413D993EA128.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 months later...