The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pictures worth seeing

Fred W

Impressive and moving !

Thanks for sharing this site

Peter

Wow! War is war. Soldiers are people, whatever their nationality! Brought a tear to my eyes. Beautiful music and photography too.

I am so sorry to disturb your feelings. I don't like reminiscent like this one. In my point of view these kind of pictures get younger people to believe in some sort of pathetic adventure or late YMCA trip. Youth might misunderstood the message and think of "it is sweet and full of honor to die for your country".

The pics may not distract from the reality: it’s a dirty bloody war where lots of casualties occur. Personally I support these troops 100% and try to boost their moral by various actions; I know what I am talking of as active duty soldier with 32 years of experience.

Over and over, all I could think about was that if we change the uniforms and the topography ... it could be any war, any nations people. The fact that they're American is almost besides the fact.

In reference to this board, think of this as in black and white ... change the helmets and turn the sand into mud ...

In preference to the rules - no further thoughts should be here ... War is the height of man's endeavors it seems ... this presentation shows much of the human side of the endevor.

Oh ... and remember, as we do, the white stones still in Flander's fields ... the shot of the rifle, bayonet down and the young man (or woman) under it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very well put together. First class propaganda footage, I like many others question why we really are over there (Oil). We have no option but to support the troops now that they are stuck in Iraq.

Two more of my students were pulled this week ... the experience of shaking hands with these young men, wishing them well ... telling them NEVER to volunteer ... even from this Ranger Officer of a previous generation's war ... is getting too emotional for me to handle sometimes ...