Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The RGA in Palestine, 1917

My father was a 20 yr-old 2nd Lieut. when he was posted to Egypt with the RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) in July 1917. I have no idea which battery he worked with or what type of gun he and his team operated. I know it was a Howitzer (He sometimes referred to it as a "gun-how"). I can only guess he was conscripted in 1916 and I know he was at Catterick and Dover Castle before he went to Egypt. Anyone got any ideas that might help me identify the battery, weapons and engagements in which he might have participated?       

Davy

Welcome to the forum. I am sure someone will be able to help you. I suggest you post your father's full name and any other details you know - date of birth for example. This will enable the experts here to research him and come up with the answers you are looking for.

I suggest you also have a look at the Long Long Trail web site https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/ and particularly the pages on the Royal Garrison Artillery http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/the-heavy-batteries-of-the-royal-garrison-artillery/ and http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/the-siege-batteries-of-the-royal-garrison-artillery/.

Robin

Welcome to the Forum Davy,

You may not know that most officers service records have survived and can be viewed at the National Archives. If he served after 1921 then they should have been retained by the MOD. What the good people of this forum need is a full name and possibly any documentation you have relating to his service.  

Following the good advice of Robin & David, then looking for RGA Howitzers in the OoB as given in Farndale's history The Forgotten Fronts & Home Base 1914-18 one finds the following on pages 96/97

XXth Corps

96th Heavy Artillery Group

378th & 383rd Siege Batteries with 8-inch howitzers

440th Siege Battery with 6-inch howitzers

XXIst Corps

97thHeavy Artillery Group

201st, 205th, 300th & 380th Siege Batteries with 6-inch howitzers

100th Heavy Artillery Group

379th, 422nd & 423rd Siege Batteries with 6-inch howitzers

102nd Heavy Artillery Group

420th, 421st & 424th Siege Batteries with 6-inch howitzers

95th Heavy Artillery Group

304th Siege Battery with 8-inch howitzers

Included under GHQ Troops, were the 8th & 9th Mountain Brigades RGA, who operated 2.75-inch and 3.7-inch howitzers

Edited by michaeldr