Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify this uniform

mpjbrennan

The family photograph below simply has "Uncle George - 1916" on the reverse. His surname was Bell, but before I plough through all the Bells I hoped someone might be able to give me a clue from the rather distinctive uniform. He was from Newcastle, but I don't know which regiment he served in.

patrick

g_bell.gif

looks like a general staff badge ??????

I would date this photo around 1900/05 (Boer War period); it certainly isn't 1916. The badge looks like a General Service badge; wasn't aware that they existed at that time?

How about 2nd County of London Yeomanry (Westminster Dragoons) for the cap badge?

Although if he was from Newcastle seems unlikely.

Any chance of a better scan of the cap badge? It might help.

Kinda looks like what Bob Juno wrote...2nd County of London Yeo. The bandoleer was worn by the cav and some yeos, from about 1890 to 1902. Only odd thing is that crown worn above the cap badge. No badge picture I have shows that. Personal affectation or CO's whim? Also note glove on left hand, mounted?

DrB

;)

How about "Her Majesty's Reserve Regiments". This badge was worn by the Home Counties/Northern/Southern and Eastern regiments from March 1900 until circa 1903.

The equipment is correct for this also, being the "Mounted Infantry" equipment with Slade Wallis belt (with QVC), riding crop, etc.

Dave.

I've posted a higher resolution scan of the cap badge below, but it isn't much better.

Further information: - I've now examined the rear of the photo myself and it actually reads "Uncle George, died 1918 War" The photograph was taken by R.W. Elliott of 93 High Street and 8 The Arcade, Aldershot. The number on the photograph is 19890 (very faint) - I doubt if the catalogue still exists.

Thanks to all for your observations.

Patrick

gbell_cap.png

Do you have any more information Patrick...such as next of kin or where exactly in Newcastle he was from? If you are able to say where he was born, enlisted and lived....(and he did die during the war whilst in service)...there is a chance he may be traced via Soldiers Died in the Great War and Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

I have looked at men on SDGW from Newcastle and ruled out most due to age listed on CWGC (must have been 30 or so when he died judging by photo circa 1903).

These two men appear to be the only ones from Newcastle who remain. Neither have age or next of kin details listed on CWGC.

24/1377 Pte George Bell, 24th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Irish)

KIA 28/04/1917 (No age listed on CWGC)

(born and enlisted Newcastle-On-Tyne)

29/104 Pte George Bell, 23rd Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers (Tynside Scottish)

KIA 01/07/1916 (No age listed on CWGC)

(born Newcastle-On-Tyne, enlisted Stanley Northumberland)

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Tim.

He was born in 1887, so your estimate of his age is pretty accurate. I checked the cwgc site myself, and he is not listed among those with a recorded age or relatives. He was too young I think to have been in the Boer War, but I guess the picture could have been taken shortly afterwards - he could be as young as 16.

Of course one possibility is that he died during WW1 - but not in it!

thanks for help.

patrick

How about 2nd County of London Yeomanry (Westminster Dragoons) for the cap badge?

I think the scroll is the wrong shape for Westminster Dragoons

post-1-1109252246.jpg

I think the scroll is the wrong shape for Westminster Dragoons

99% certain its the badge of "H.M.R. Regiment". ;)

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Not familiar with that badge, do you have a picture?

Cheers.

Must say I agree with Dave,

One of Her Majesty's Reserve Regiments......either Homes Counties, Northern, Southern or Eastern. From Gaylor p. 123. Plate 53.

'As the Imperial garrisons were emptied of first-line troops to serve in South Africa there was a need to replace them and this was filled by raising the Royal Reserve Regiments in March 1900'.

'The Infantry and the Guards wore their own hat badges while the Home Counties, Northern, Southern and Eastern Regiments wore the Royal Arms in brass'.

Rgds

Tim

post-1-1109285158.jpg

Thanks Tim.

Certainly matches.

John.

No doubt now....I will bet it is the Royal Arms, but you can hang that one almost anywhere. It looks as though there is a separate button above the badge. Maybe that is the clue.

DrB

;)

It looks as though there is a separate button above the badge.

That's the press-stud to keep the brim of the hat in place! :D

Dave.