Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two CWGC successes Headstone inscriptions now included

tharkin56

All

I noticed a couple of headstone inscription where on the records but not on the website. CWGC have agreed having provided photo evidence so web site will be updated within 24 hours. 

Having investigated this case, it is clear that the omission of personal inscription on our entry for Lieutenant Evans occurred as the document that shows this inscription (schedule S) no longer exists and we therefore have no record of the inscription within our original documentation.
Based on the photograph provided, i have now added the inscription

Having investigated this case, it is clear that the personal inscription error on our record for Second Lieutenant Callard occurred as the result of a misunderstanding of the documentation when the inscription project was outsourced a number of years ago.

Some learning here if you notice a headstone inscription missing raise a ticket and supply evidence. I have noticed 2/500 or so.

3 hours ago, tharkin56 said:

I noticed a couple of headstone inscription where on the records but not on the website. CWGC have agreed ... so web site will be updated

Well done

3 hours ago, tharkin56 said:

Some learning here if you notice a headstone inscription missing raise a ticket and supply evidence

Hear, hear!

Plenty on the Headstone Schedule(s) but headstone photo(s) will always help to speed things up.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

On 15/09/2020 at 08:50, tharkin56 said:

I noticed a couple of headstone inscription where on the records but not on the website. CWGC have agreed having provided photo evidence so web site will be updated within 24 hours. 

Congratulations Tharkin56.

I had mentioned In another thread started by you https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/284354-concentration-of-graves-records-good-enough-to-change-date-of-death/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-2933859 two errors by the CWGC (regarding units rather than dates of death), namely S.L. Moffatt being described on his headstone as in the 2nd Battalion LF rather than 2/5th LF, and A.D.G.O. Kerr, said to have been attached to the 1/5th LF rather than the 2/5th LF. My information came initially from my grandfather's personal diary, but was also confirmed by the 2/5th LF War Diary.

Guided by you, I have now looked at the background documents available on the CGWC website, and find that the Burial Return, GRRF, and Concentration Record all describe 2nd Lieutenant Moffatt as 2/5 LF, with only the headstone and cemetery index being incorrect I will make a submission to the CWGC based on the original documents.

The details availabe for A.D.G.O. Kerr are much more sparse, comprising only the panel on the Thiepval Memorial, and the incorrect memorial index. However, I will have a go at getting CWGC to correct the latter on the strength of my grandfather's diary and the 2/5th LF War Diary.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.