Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-18

Doug Lewis

The Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-18 by Major-General C.R. Simpson,C.B.

Willing to do online lookups.

Regards Doug.

• 5 months later...

Hi Doug

Many thanks for your kind offer. I'm trying to research former pupils of Brigg Grammar School, listed on their memorial, so th eLincolnshire Regiment features quite heavily. Can I give you the following details, and anything you can add would be greatly appreciated. We visited some of the graves and memorials on a school trip last November, and hope to repeat the trip next year.

Second Lt Percy Margetts was a teacher, serving with 9th Bn but attached to 6th Bn. Died in Gallipoli 5th December 1915 age 27. According to a press report at the time he had been there two months.

Private Harold Rayner was a pupil, also with 6th Bn, who died at Gallipoli 4th November 1915 aged 21. Service no 17957

Second Lt William Nainby is listed as 'attd 62nd LTM Bty'. He died 27th May 1918, aged about 22, and is listed on the Soissons Memorial.

Captain George Henry Joseph Sowter was a well known figure in Brigg. He was killed during the attack on the Hohenzollern redoubt, 13th October 1915, serving with 5th Bn. I have a picture of territorials marching through Brigg in August 1914, and would love to know if he was the officer leading them!

Reginald Herbert Westoby was killed on 4th October 1917 serving with the 3rd Bn. A memorial on his parents grave records him dying at Passchendaele, which ties in with his memorial at Tyne Cot. The 1901 census lists him, his brother and both parents. His death was the last, marking the end of the family.

I have a range of information about their family backgrounds, but little on their circumstances once enlisted, or precise details of deaths.

Again, thanks for your help

Dave Waite

hi dave

As an ex pupil of Brigg Sixth Form i read your post with great interest. As regards the picture of the Brigg territorials marching through the town, if it is one of the series taken as they marched from the market place, past what is now the Dying Glad, up to the station, the two officers that feature are Sowter and Lieut Hartley; also killed at Hohenzollern. Sowter was an officer in D Company, 1/5th Lincs; D Company primarily being men from Gainsborough, Scunthorpe and Brigg in 1914 and 1915.

If you want more info and a few local contacts who may be able to help you further please send me an email

Chris

Dave

Sorry I have only picked up on your post today,will do the look ups and get back to you.

Regards Doug.

Dave

Second Lt Percy Margetts

There is no specific reference to this man. The 6th Btn landed at Sulva Bay with the 11th Division on the night 6th/7th August 1915. On the date Percy was killed there was no specific action,so I would presume he was killed by sniper fire or through bombing as a lot of this was happening across the trenches at this time.

Private Harold Rayner

Exactly the same info as above, but SDGW records Harold as "Died", at this time

dysentery was rife and was taking a heavy toll on the troops,and I believe that Harold was one of them.

Regards Doug.

Dave

Captain George Henry Joseph Sowter

The book just lists him along with other officers killed in the attack on the Hohenzollern redoubt.

Regards Doug.

Dear Dave,

I recently acquired a copy of the 5th Lincolns bat history by T E Sandall (1922) I've just had a look and there is an excellent signed portrait of Sowter and also one of him in officers group. If you would like I could get them photocopied for you. I will also try tomorrow to get my newly aquired digi-cam working to post them here- I hope it works!! I will also check the text to see if there is anything of interest.

Regards

Dan

Hi Doug

Many thanks for your kind offer. I'm trying to research former pupils of Brigg Grammar School, listed on their memorial, so th eLincolnshire Regiment features quite heavily. Can I give you the following details, and anything you can add would be greatly appreciated. We visited some of the graves and memorials on a school trip last November, and hope to repeat the trip next year.

Second Lt Percy Margetts was a teacher, serving with 9th Bn but attached to 6th Bn. Died in Gallipoli 5th December 1915 age 27. According to a press report at the time he had been there two months.

Private Harold Rayner was a pupil, also with 6th Bn, who died at Gallipoli 4th November 1915 aged 21. Service no 17957

Second Lt William Nainby is listed as 'attd 62nd LTM Bty'. He died 27th May 1918, aged about 22, and is listed on the Soissons Memorial.

Captain George Henry Joseph Sowter was a well known figure in Brigg. He was killed during the attack on the Hohenzollern redoubt, 13th October 1915, serving with 5th Bn. I have a picture of territorials marching through Brigg in August 1914, and would love to know if he was the officer leading them!

Reginald Herbert Westoby was killed on 4th October 1917 serving with the 3rd Bn. A memorial on his parents grave records him dying at Passchendaele, which ties in with his memorial at Tyne Cot. The 1901 census lists him, his brother and both parents. His death was the last, marking the end of the family. 

I have a range of information about their family backgrounds, but little on their circumstances once enlisted, or precise details of deaths.

Again, thanks for your help

Dave Waite