Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Composite Force on Mansura Ridge between 2nd and 3rd Gaza

ddycher

All

Trying to fill some gaps.

Looking to get a better understanding of the role of the Composite Force under Harry Watson which manned Masura Ridge September ~ November 1917. Know it consisted of the Gharwal Bde, the Imperial Cavalry Bde, French and Italian detachments. Know it was commanded by Harry Watson who we have explored together before :

What I am trying to put together is what was actually happening on Mansura and Tell el Ahmar between 2nd and 3rd Gaza. Although the front line it appears to have been manned during the period by what I would normally have considered garrison or LoC troops. Watson commanded what was effectively a division for a couple of months before it was broken up in November. There are also ref's for the BWI and some jewish battalions on Mansura in this timeframe. Re. Tell el Ahmar I know this was a series of redoubts about 2 miles behind the front lines by the time of 3rd Gaza. Have ref's for water and ordnance dumps, field ambulances etc and have a vague picture that Tell el Ahmar was more significant than I previously thought. 

As the Composite Force moved forward at the beginning of November it was relieved by the reserves from the 75th Division on its left. Who in turn move forward a few days later leaving its LoB contingents at Tell el Ahmar. The Composite Force having apparently performed well in actions associated with 3rd Gaza devolve to LoC troops by the end of the month.

Can anyone shed any insights ? Nothing in OH etc.

Regards

Dave

Edited by ddycher

On 12/09/2020 at 19:03, ddycher said:

There are also ref's for the BWI and some jewish battalions on Mansura in this timeframe.

Farndale's Chapter 8 gives the OoB at this point which includes the Composite Force and he lists it as:

Imperial Indian Service Troops

1st Batt. British West Indian Regt

French Contingent

Italian Contingent 

As far as I know the first Jewish Battalion did not reach Palestine until mid-1918

[the 38th Battalion embarked at Southampton, February 1918]

The Composite Force is shown on the map below [for 1800hrs 28 Oct 1917 - from Pirie-Gordon's The Advance of the EEF] on the right of the 75th Div

briefrecordofadv00grearich_0131.jp2&id=b

Edited by michaeldr

Thanks Michael.

Ref's for the Jewish Bn's come from the BWI records. Will recheck.

Any thoughts on how to dig in further to Tel El Ahmar ? Turning in to one of those black holes. Bit like the Wadi Simeon event of a couple of years back. Have a growing sense that this was a much more significant location than I had considered previously. At least in the period between 2nd and 3rd Gaza.

Regards

Dave