Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charleys War

Captain Dave

Whilst perusing a comic (I mean 'graphic novel') shop, I came upon the re release of Charleys War, all nice and hoardcovered and unfortionatly sealed in a plastic bag.

Is this simply a reprint of the one issued out in the late 80's in soft cover. or does it start earlier and go for further?

Is this simply a reprint of the one issued out in the late 80's in soft cover. or does it start earlier and go for further?

There were two printed (1983 and 1985) - "Book 1" and "book 2".

Book 1 covered the start of the story (joining up to nightfall on 1st July 1916) and book 2 covered July 2nd 1916 through to August 1916 and the "eve of the tanks".

I believe (but don't know) that this new re-print is both "book 1" and "book 2" combined, so, in other words mainly covers June - August 1916.

Dave.

The actual content of the new hardback is basically all of the old book one, plus about half of book two (it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger....) with some new bonus material -an interview with creator Pat Mills, a scriptography and a background piece on the battle of the Somme. The second hardback volume is due in the latter half of 2005.

Hope this is of some help

All the best

Paul.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have book 2, and all my original comics have been relegated to the landfill in the sky. It was selling for NZ $44.00, I was just wondering if it was worth it or not......

Isn't it great that something from our youth is worth a reprint?

Well all of us in our late thirties.

Avidly read Charleys war as a teenager,when Battle Action finally turned up at my local W.H Smith,which was a 10 mile round trip.

Sometimes i would get 3 copies at once,and it was always my first stop.

I may be getting sentimental now,but the artwork was marvellous,much like all of the comics i remember from those days,including the pocket book sized monthlies that used to come out as well(the names,i can't remember),that were like mini novels,and mainly covered WW2,Tobruk,El Alamein,etc,and must have cost a fortune to reproduce on a mass scale.

Oh how the times have changed.

Action man has survived,in name at least,but long gone are the days when you could tear a centre page out of a comic,in black and white,and put it in a frame and call it art.

Busted posters just don't cut it.

All the best.

Simon.