Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Local peace medal

Clive Maier

There was an interesting thread recently about medals struck and presented at the end of the war by towns and villages to returning service personnel and next of kin. Until then, I had no idea such things existed but shortly after, I chanced upon something similar presented by Tunbridge Wells, just a couple of miles from my birthplace and ‘home’ memorial.

The medal bears the word ‘Peace’ and is dated 1919. Pending background research it seems likely that it commemorated the peace treaty and was distributed to those who did their bit to reach that conclusion.

Are there other examples of local peace medals?

post-23-1109157139.jpg

By no means commonplace a number of Towns & Cities struck various Peace Medals & Badges,usually dated 1919,I have a pin back Badge in Brass & enamel for West Hartlepool,& a General 1919 Peace Medallion,probably "awarded" to Schoolchildren,I will post JPGs when I get a moment!In 40 odd years I have only seen a handful{though,admittedly, I havent been looking for them}

CM

While on the hunt for medals, particularly to non-casualties, I have noticed a few with these commemorative Peace Medals and a nice touch they are too. They were given as a thank you from the town for service in the recent conflict. The one I found was from the Skegness Town Council, no bigger than a half crown and a dark copper colour.

There were a few made to commemorate the end of WW2, though like the town Council in Brigg, Lincs., official certificates giving thanks for service were issued to returning servicemen, on parchment. Cost cutting I should think.

LinL

West Hartlepool 1919 Badge for Peace Celebrations,Pin back.

General Peace 1919 Medallion Obverse {this Particular one was with the MM & Trio of a Private Fred.Nunn,MM,1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment TF}

& Reverse{Note Registered Design Number}.

I seem to have lost the other thread but can anyone post a scan of the Brighouse medal. I understand this was a bit of a large print run as it were as opposed to ones commissioned by other "boroughs". Any idea as to what I would pay for a nice condition one or......anyone got one to sell me : ) Only a nice one mind - send me an IM if so.

Any idea as to what I would pay for a nice condition one or......anyone got one to sell me : ) Only a nice one mind - send me an IM if so.

Andy - The pair and tribute medal cost me about £30 5 years, probably paid over the odds for it then.

This is the only one I've seen, and it isn't for sale I'm afraid (it's in Jean's Artillery collection now anyway).

Good luck in your hunt for one mate.

Fascinating replies.

Tom's example suggests that there was at least one enterprising manufacturer hawking semi-stock peace medals to likely municipalities.