Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books Looking for a Good Home

The Scorer

I've got copies of the following books which I'd like to pass on to someone:

"War Memoirs of David Lloyd George, Volume One"

Two issues, one dated 1933 / 1934 and the other dated 1938. 

No dust jacket on either, some damage to the spine on both, but otherwise in reasonable condition. 

"Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T E Lawrence

Dated 1926

No dust jacket, some damage to the spine, but otherwise in reasonable condition.

These are free to the first bidder(s). 

If you're interested, please let me know via a PM.

Thanks. 

If your Seven Pillars is really dated ‘1926’ I’d be more than happy to have it!

Alan

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

If your Seven Pillars is really dated ‘1926’ I’d be more than happy to have it!

Alan

Ah ... I've checked, and sadly it's the 1943 issue! I just looked at the date of the introduction - apologies! 

21 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

Ah ... I've checked, and sadly it's the 1943 issue! I just looked at the date of the introduction - apologies! 

No problem. And there was me thinking a £30,000 book was coming my way!

2 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

It would be just my luck to give it to you, as well .... duh!!

:wub:

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

And you would want it inscribed by the author-to Allenby or someone like that. As an aside, the scarcest of T.E.L. stuff are the little write-ups he did on church architecture published in reports of the Ashmolean Museum- You may have to wait quite a while for an inscribed copy in a dustwrapper for those!! Some of the Lawrence stuff that he was involved in while with the Arab Bureau is suitably arcane. One I had-once only was "Through Wahabiland ona Camel" (Lawrence helped translate it) but it was unlikely to knock Harold Robbins off the bestsellers listings. 

As regards inscriptions, the Churchills flogged off any number of his own books after the death of Clemmie,I think- usually in a cheapish green leather with his initials on the from board, bottom right. Of course, many of these were presentation copies-so not the brightest thing for the family to do by tearing out the front free endpapers.

2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

As regards inscriptions, the Churchills flogged off any number of his own books after the death of Clemmie,I think- usually in a cheapish green leather with his initials on the from board, bottom right. Of course, many of these were presentation copies-so not the brightest thing for the family to do by tearing out the front free endpapers.

I’ve bought 2 Churchill volumes. Occupation of the Rhineland & Military Ops Italy, both inscribed to Churchill by Edmonds and with Randolph’s bookplate ( I think he stuck it in all his fathers books after his death). Sadly they’re coming from Melbourne which is locked up tight at the moment. I’ll put some pictures up when they finally get here.