Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The German OH, Der Weltkrieg - another myth?

charlie2

I stubbled on a thread this evening on what I presume to be an archived forum. On one of the threads discussing the German OH is a post maintaining that the volumes 1 to 9 were also printed with the maps etc. contained in separate cases, unfortunately no proof is offered.

I quote:

Um die Sache noch verwirrender zu machen: Es existieren auch von den Bänden 1 - 9 Ausgaben, bei den die Karten extra in ein Heft oder einen dünnen Band gebunden sind und als Anlagen bezeichnet werden. Möglicherweise sind das dann Ausgaben, die von Anfang an für Bibliotheken gedacht waren. 

Is anyone able to confirm this statement or have even seen such examples?

https://97164.forumromanum.com/member/forum/forum.php?action=std_show&entryid=994264732&USER=user_97164&threadid=2&onsearch=1

Charlie

That brings back memories, the old German WWI forum...

Anyway, I can't help with your question. Perhaps these were books that had been bound again by the libraries? The text part as a book and the maps separate. That would undoubtedly be easier to do and would keep the maps more together in a separate box-like binding.

Jan

Charlie,

The set I have that was looted from the Riechsarchiv , with the standard book plates is the standard red with maps bound in, do you want a photo?

Now they might have planned to issue volumes for binding up, and the maps were bound up separately. don't know if that happened.

The Spanish translations I have not come across.

So to sum up , probably not.

Thanks Mart, I have doubts about the separate map cases, no-one seems to have seen one and Pöhlmann makes no mention of them in his book but I suppose nothing can be ruled out with out the necessary evidence. It doesn‘t surprise me though considering what some ill informed people write about volumes 13 and 14.

Charlie