The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

US memorials to the Great War

andigger

Actually this isn't a rhetorical question. Talking with one of the British Pals this weekend he (Stiletto) mentioned there were very few, if any, US memorials to the Great War. So I thought I'd put a call out to anyone (especially US Pals) who have pics of memorials to WWI in the US.

This is the monument to the soldiers from my county.

Andy

post-19-1109127071.jpg

Andy:

See this thread for images of WWI Memorial in Funkstown, Maryland, just outside Hagerstown (not to mention our own Hartleys).

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...22&hl=funkstown

Also, when visiting my Mom in the Philly area this weekend, I today (Tuesday) found a WWI Memorial in the shape of a large Celtic cross. It was located on Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill and had the names of probably 25-30 men from the Chestnut Hill area of Philadelphia who died during the Great War. Alas, I didn't have a camera...

I do intend on photographing it on my return.

Chris

Of course there are ... lots of them.

The most beautiful (IMHO) is at the State Capital of Tennesee in Nashville ... a huge bronze prometheus surrounded by plaques listing the casualties ...

Also in Nashville is:

Nashville_Davis_Mmt_4.jpg

And, I dare say names are listed and appropriate monuments displayed on every county courthouse lawn (on the Yankee war side) in Texas.

Montfaucon is the only one I have visited. Great view from the top. This photo is not my own as they are not immediately to hand.

Roop

Andy.

Have a look HERE for New York City memorials.

Dave.

Fred - you are right, and actually I have a picture of it. There are several WWI memorials in the DC area, but rather than load this thread with those images I wanted to see what was out there from the other States.

Andy

Andy,

I think you have the wrong WWII leader here.

Truman I believe was a Captain of Field Artillery.

There was only WWII leader of the rank of Corporal in WWI I can think of.

Joe Sweeney

Andy,

Good to see the response to this.When talking on Sunday I mentioned that in the 4 years i lived in Atlanta Ga, 1 years in Greenville SC and nearly 4 in Fl I cannot remember seeing one. I notice the response here seems to be mainly northern memorials wonder if anyone can come up with one in the South.

The Civil War Parks and memorials were profuse in the South and I was very impressed with the way battlefields and such were presented and maintained.

Andy

Alright.... a new gauntlet has been thrown.... what can we dig up from Dixie?

Andy

ps... good call Joe, I was only going from memory, and not a very good one at that. I think you are right.

Andy,

Not a gauntlet, was just something that struck me whilst living over there. Great to see some of the pictures of the memorials.

Andy

Washington DC World War I Monument.....

Liam

Botts... Nice Avatar.

larneman... where did you get that picture? It must be 70 years old! That memorial is hidden in the woods today.

Andy

I can vouch for most of New Jersey, New York State, Connecticut and Massachusetts. Just about every small town has one. Often with the names of all local men who served, not just casualties. Smaller towns are simply a bronze plaque with names and some illustrations.

These are also the areas where the majority of the Local Service, Victory and Welcome Home medals originate from. Local Service Medals from the South are much more scarce.

There was a great movement to remember the men of the Civil War in the North in the 1890's and on. I think the fact WWI came so soon after this movement, Northern communities were more likely to erect monuments.

Take care,

Neil

larneman... where did you get that picture?

From a collection of WW1 photographs I had bought on Ebay a good while ago.

Glad you liked it. Any chance of a "now" photograph.

That is what I like to do, comparing an old picture with the situation or the building as it is today.

Liam