Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Red Cross Medal

PaulJC

I have seen the Royal Red Cross medal (ARRC) mounted with a bow ribbon but also the standard ribbon. 

I know that the award was exclusively for women but that changed. Did the the use of the standard medal ribbon coincide with that change or was it earlier?

Paul

The Royal Red Cross and Associate of the Royal Red Cross were issued to women only (up until the mid 1970's when Men were made eligible.) and were issued on ribbon bows. They were contained in marked cases of issue with an internal shape of the medal and ribbon bow to fit into. The bows, however, made mounting an RRC or ARRC with other medals awkward and some medal mounters simply mounted them on straight ribbons.

Sepoy

Here is an example of a cased Royal Red Cross (George VI issue) which was once in my collection. The earlier issues and A.R.R.C. are similar. The Cases are marked R.R.C. or A.R.R.C. on the outside of the lid.

Sepoy

ROYAL RED CROSS.jpg

Many thanks,

I have inherited an ARRC medal awarded to my great aunt. It had no ribbon of any type.

Do you think it might be possible to obtain a replacement bow?

Paul

I think a skilled medal mounter should be able to sort out a ribbon bow for you. Send an email to Jeremy Tenniswood at info@militaria.co.uk as he may be able to assist or contact spink.com to discover cost, availability etc.