Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HMS Triad Dardanelles

Sparky53

Does anyone know anyhting about

The Dardanelles Committee on HMS Triad ?

I think this might be a pic of my Grandfather on said vessel.

Found it in my late Uncles photo album

Jane

post-24-1109106481.jpg

Hired Yacht HMS TRIAD, 1212 ton, launched 1909, 2 x 12 pounder guns, HQ ship requisitioned 19th February 1915, eventually purchased 19th June 1919. Became a Special Service Vessel 1st January 1920 sold May 1933.

Also http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lhcma/locreg/GODFREY2.html

and

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lhcma/cats/hamilton/h0-0702.htm

may be of interest.

Aye

Malcolm

I have a copy of the Dardanelles Commission report, but cannot find any reference to HMS Triad in the index. Did you have anything specific in mind regarding this?

Terry Reeves

Does anyone know anyhting about

The Dardanelles Committee on HMS Triad ?

Didn’t the Dardanelles Committee come into being after the sacking of Churchill from the Admiralty in mid-1915? And wasn’t Hankey sent by them from London to Gallipoli in August on some sort of fact finding mission?

Sorry that I haven’t had a chance to check thoroughly but it occurs to me that on the 8th August, Hamilton used ‘Triad’ to get to Suvla while Hankey used a trawler and the two may have returned to GHQ together on the ‘Triad.’

Lots of guess work here I’m afraid, but it’s the best I can think of at the moment by way of a connection

Generally speaking the ‘Triad’ was a maid-of-all-work carrying this admiral and that general as the need arose and if nothing else was available. She was at Gallipoli till the bitter end, acting as General Davies floating HQ on the night of the final withdrawal from Helles

Regards

Michael D.R.

Here are the only bits of information I have about Grandfather's Naval Service

Aberdeen Uni Roll of Honour:-

Commissioned in the Royal Navy on 24 Apr 17

Served on the Belgian Coast Patrol in "M 23" from Apr 17 to Jun 18; at the RN Hospital, Corfu, Constantinople and Gallipoli from July 18 to Mar 19.

Served on the Dardanelles Committee on HMS Triad from June 1917 to Aug 1919.

Served at RN Barracks, Devonport from Aug to Nov 19

Cutting from Staffs Evening Sentinel :-

- and served in the Dover Patrol. His ship took part in the famous Zeebrugge action, after which he was posted to the Royal Naval Hospital Corfu.

At the end of the war he was posted as medical officer to the Dardanelles Commission the secretary to which was Pay Lt ( later Rear Admiral) Roger Worthington, member of a notable Leek family.

It looks to me that there is a misprint in the Aberdeen Uni Roll and it should read HMS Triad from June 1919 to Aug 1919

I'll have to see what I can find at the PRO

Jane

Aberdeen Uni Roll of Honour:-

Served on the Dardanelles Committee on HMS Triad from June 1917 to Aug 1919.

It looks to me that there is a misprint in the Aberdeen Uni Roll and it should read HMS Triad from June 1919 to Aug 1919

Aberdeen and others may have been a bit loose in their use of ‘Dardanelles Committee/Commission’

There was a Dardanelles Committee which sat for the first time 7 June 1915 and was made up of senior cabinet members with Lt Col Hankey as its secretary.

After the campaign there was a Dardanelles Commission which commenced its work in 1916 and reported in 1917, I think.

What this Dardanelles Committee was in 1919 I cannot think, unless perhaps it had something to do with the Blockade?

Jane, please let us know what you find out at Kew

Regards

Michael D.R.

This is what it says about Dardanelles Commission on 1st world war. com

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/dardanellescommission.htm

Here is the Nat Archive Catalogue:-

http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov....ullDetails=True

The Special Commissions (Dardanelles and Mesopotamia) Act 1916 provided for the appointment of two Commissions to enquire into the conduct of operations of war in the Dardanelles and Mesopotamia.The Mesopotamia Commission reported in 1917, whilst the final report of the Dardanelles Commission was published in 1919.

It appears that the Committee met much earlier:-

http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov....ullDetails=True

On the 5th and 6th of August 1914 meetings of ministers, chiefs of staff and other senior officers were summoned mainly to decide on sending an expedionary force to France. These meetings were described as 'councils of war'. After these two meetings no attempt appears to have been made by the Cabinet to use a subordinate body to advise on the general conduct of the war until the War Council was appointed in November 1914 to consider general matters of war policy, the secretariat of the Committee of Imperial Defence providing the secretarial needs of this new body.

After the formation of the coalition government in May 1915 the War Council was replaced by the Dardanelles Committee, created originally to consider operations in the Dardanelles and Gallipoli, but which later extended its deliberations to more general strategic and operational problems. On 3 November 1915 it was superseded by the War Committee, which continued until the formation of the War Cabinet in December 1916.

I expect Grandpa was MO to the final Commission report producing team June - Aug 1919

Jane

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Eventually got HMS Triad Log Book out - ADM53/63523: 63524 : 63525

MALTA 1/4/19 - Set sail

TARANTO 3/4/19 - Body of late Private Wells taken ashore.

4/4/19 Firing Party for Wells

5/4/19 DARDENELLES commission arrived on board.

6/4/19 Set sail for CONSTANTINOPOLE.

9/4/19 CONSTANTINOPOLE

16/4/19 Left CONSTANTINOPOLE

17/4/19 At CHANAK

27/4/19 Left CHANAK and CAPE HELLAS for CONSTANTINOPOLE

29/4/19 CONSTANTINOPOLE

May 1919 is spent moving between CONSTANTINOPOLE, CHANAK, CAPE HELLAS and SMYRNA.

June 1919 they visit CHANAK, CONSTANTINOPOLE, ISMID, PRINTKIPS, SULVA BAY, MUDROS, PHALERUM BAY.

19/6/19 Left PHALERUM for TARANTO

21/6/19 TARANTO - Dardanelles Committee left ship

22/6/19 Left TARANTO for MALTA

24/6/19 MALTA

27/6/19 MALTA - Ammunition returned

29/6/19 MALTA - 12.00 Dinner (spliced main brace)

Jane

Jane,

Many thanks for getting back to us on this

I find it confusing that the NA gives two different dates for the termination of the Dardanelles Commission

i] the CAB19 doc which you link to above does indeed refer to 1919

ii] while elsewhere the NA also gives, quote; "The report - published in 1917 by the parliamentary commission investigating the Dardanelles campaign..."

see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathway...p_dard_comm.htm

for the first 16 items of the report which was dated December 4th 1917

The December 1917 date is also quoted here http://www.bopcris.ac.uk/bopall/ref7721.html

and referred to as the "Final report of the Dardanelles Commission"

Despite what the Triad's log says at 21/06/19, I think that you can forget about the 'Committee' which as you pointed out previously, expired in November 1915

If anyone can suggest what the Dardanelles Commission [having already reported in 1917] was up to in 1919 then that would be illuminating

Or was this a different Dardanelles Commission at that later date?

best regards

Michael

It is extremely confusing - the log does say Commission in one instance and Committee in another.

My guess it was the Commission checking out the geography before delivering the final report, but the link you have given says this was 1917....

The log gives no indication of the activities of the Commission, not even whether they landed or not.

Looking here:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...ullDetails=True

It says Reports First, Supplementary and Final 1917-1919

Jane

Jane,

"It is extremely confusing"

You can say that again

The Dardanelles Commission's First Report was that of 12th February 1917

[Cromer had been chairman until his death just a couple of weeks earlier]

The Rt Hon Andrew Fisher dissented and wrote his own Minute

The Hon Sir Tomas Mackenzie also had something to say beyond that presented by the main body of the Commission

and he added his own 'Dissent and Suggestion'

Mr Walter Roch felt he was unable to add his signature to the Commission's Report and he too added his own Minute or separate memorandum dated 22nd December 1916

Pickford took over from Cromer as chairman

and their Final Report was published 4th December 1917

The Supplementary Report refers to that made [again] by The Hon Sir Thomas Mackenzie

I may be mistaken here and am therefore open to correction on this point

but since the Final Report was published in December 1917,

I have taken it that the [Cromer/Pickford] Dardanelles Commission had finished its work at that time

The only reason I can see for the 1919 date to appear is that it refers to the Command paper, whatever that was

see http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.as...ommission#s1-22

and the explanation given under "Date published" and "Paper / Bill number" here http://www.bopcris.ac.uk/fieldhelp.html#IS

If anyone can help with any further clarification then I will be grateful

As an after thought

I wonder if the Triad's visit in 1919 was not more likely to be connected with the enforcement of the Armistice of 31st October 1918

Article 1 of which refers to the opening of the Dardanelles and Bosphorus and the Allied occupation of the Dardanelles and Bosphorus forts

best regards

Michael