Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sheila Todd-Naylor

Guest leibregiment100

Guest leibregiment100

I wanted to share a group I have had for some time, a simple WW1 pair to Sheila Todd-Naylor, (the medals are named "S.TODD-NAYLOR") Sheila served in Rome as a member of the British Military Mission in Rome in 1918 as a member of MI5, her father was a decorated Burma civil servant (ICS) and her brother was killed in the Great war with the KRRC, sadly no further details of her service in MI5 is available, however for me a wonderful group.

post-38-1109104404.jpg

How very interesting. I guess you've tried all the usual channels when seeking information, e.g., the local newspapers might run a story for you. Do you have a photo of her? or of her and / or brother's graves?

Robbie

Guest leibregiment100

Robbie, Yes even wrote to Box 500, trouble with womens research is the subjects get married!

I have managed to obtain all the fathers details and the son (KIA) , even got the sisters names!

with no males alive there are no Todd-Naylors

Anyone got details on the BMM Rome?

Type "Sir J Rennell Rodd Social and Diplomatic Memories 1902-1919" into Google. This article will give you some background about the BMM in Rome during WW1.

Terry Reeves

Leibregiment

Interested in the connection to her brother WB Todd-Naylor of the 8/KRRC which is my special interest. He was killed on the Somme on 24/08/1916. Not sure if I have a photo of his grave yet but have the Battalion war diary for the period covering his death if you would like a copy.

Mike S

• 3 years later...

I know this is a very old thread, but I came across it when I Googled Sheila Todd-Naylor, who was my grandmother. I can provide further information about her and her brother, William Bryan Todd-Naylor, if anyone is still interested.

I would certainly be interested to learn more about my Grandmother's work during WW I.

• 1 year later...

Kit Wise

Please do post the information you have, it all sounds very interesting. You may be interested to know that her name appears in the security service files at the National Archive in KV1/50 in fairly lengthy document entitled "The Work of Women of MI5". Although she is only listed in a nominal roll of "ladies employed by MI5 entitled to the British War Medal" (which has the rather pointed comment "this was not granted by the WO") it is a document worth reading for the background to their work.

Terry Reeves

• 8 years later...

Only just stumbled on this.  She married Luther Holden Barford, Indian Army Cavalry Reserve (India Army List April 1917) attached to MI5 in Italy at the same time.  They were divorced in 1935 on the grounds of her frequent adultery (J 77/3458/5503).