Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Daniel Williams 2338, 290458

Mike Cole

Hi

I am trying to find our more about my Great Uncle Pte Daniel Williams who served in the 3rd Battalion of the Monmouthshire Regiment during the Great War and who was killed in Action on the 2nd May 1915. The information I have been able to find out is that he may have been at Polygon Wood which was under bombardment around that date but this may be incorrect. I also understand that gas was used for the first time at this time.

He is commemorated on the Menin Gate which means he was never found but if there is any information and especially a photograph I would be immensely grateful

Hi Mike,

Daniel has a service file on Findmypast (link), which should also be available on Ancestry. It says that he went missing between 2nd and 11th May 1915, and was presumed to have died on the 2nd. After registration , the Battalion war diary is available as a free download from the National Archive (here), and the Brigade HQ diary here.

There is help on reading any map references here

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Mike,

Welcome to GWF.

Thanks to the Western Front Association / Fold3 there is a Pension Ledger card and a Pension Card under #2338

https://www.fold3.com/search?keywords=williams;2338;Daniel&general.title.provider.id=34:The+Western+Front+Association

Unfortunately things seem to be playing up at the moment but hopefully you/I/someone will be able to see them in the future.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
changed the link for a more targeted one