Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonel Macgregor-Whitton

Mlk03002

Hello All!  I am looking for some information on this gentleman. My grandfather lived in Scotland in the 70s and 80s “not sure exact dates”.  This is one of the many things he brought back to the states. Who is this guy?

thanks 

matt

CA868E40-3120-41E6-A498-48C158395342.jpeg

D6525793-9F1D-42B1-9488-0A358AFBF9CB.jpeg

FD8B033B-3B36-4B02-88D1-E9095316D08B.jpeg

7EE4C2FE-2694-47A4-82E3-ED8D037FAACC.jpeg

45E509A5-2F7B-45F4-B97E-F910AD08CA8A.jpeg

20 minutes ago, BarbaraG said:

Possible link...

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/4234-captain-p-w-t-macgregor-whitton/

I think the answer is in this post

Depending on the date of the portrait, it is probably either the father, James, or Percy's brother Allan. They were both RSF officers. According to the linked post: 'Lt Col James Whitton Royal Scots Fusiliers 25th August 1894 was placed on half pay on completion of 4 years in charge of Bttn'.

Acknown

Edit 1: I've just noticed the black armband. Col James in mourning for his son Percy? Portrait date 1916?

Edit 2: But the initials on the back (W.M.G.?) are intriguing.

Edited by Acknown

22 minutes ago, Acknown said:

Depending on the date of the portrait, it is probably either the father, James, or Percy's brother Allan. They were both RSF officers. According to the linked post: 'Lt Col James Whitton Royal Scots Fusiliers 25th August 1894 was placed on half pay on completion of 4 years in charge of Bttn'.

Acknown

I've just noticed the black armband. Col James in mourning for his son Percy? Portrait date 1916?

Memorial Dundurn Parish Church, St Fillans

Colonel MacGregor-Whitton

Royal Scots Fusiliers

Died 6th February 1933 Aged 92yrs

Captain Percy MacGregor-Whitton

Royal Scots Fusiliers

Killed 9th July 1916

In the Battle of the Somme

Aged 21

See - http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=2360

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/81790

Edited by BarbaraG

My pleasure. I've been very fortunate to have lots of help and advice from ladies & gents on GWF. 

The portrait surely reflects the pride of the family and commemorates their service with the Royal Scots Fusiliers - so glad it has survived and that you've added it to the earlier thread.

Barbara

Edited by BarbaraG

Just now, BarbaraG said:

My pleasure. I've been very fortunate to have lots of help and advice from ladies & gents on GWF. 

The portrait surely reflects the pride of the family and commemorates their service with the Royal Scots Fusiliers - so glad it has survived.

Barbara

I am going to try get in touch with someone to restore the painting....I also noticed a tag on the back....

james bourlet and sons.jpg

42 minutes ago, Acknown said:

Acknown

Edit 1: I've just noticed the black armband. Col James in mourning for his son Percy? Portrait date 1916?

Edit 2: But the initials on the back (W.M.G.?) are intriguing.

W.M.G is the Artist and I am thinking it to be William Mervyn Glass....but not sure.  The tag has some dates but not sure about the painting itself.

mk

james bourlet and sons.jpg

Edited by Mlk03002

Might be worth contacting......

www.bourlet.co.uk

Their pages are very interesting and they may have more details in their Archives. 

A little far for Restoration Work though if you're in America (?)  :D

Edited by BarbaraG

I do live in America but would be willing to send it to the right place to get it checked out.  I have a feeling that the frame is worth more than the portrait.  

mk