Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Yanks trip to France and Belgium- advice welcomed

Sturmmann1918

Hello everyone, 

I'll be making the trip "over there" from the states on May 28th, 2021. I plan on flying back home June 14th, 2021. I was hoping those who have visited France and Belgium could give me some pointers on less known battlefield sites, memorials etc. 

Once I arrived in France, I'll be making my way over to the Meuse-Argonne to begin my trip, then heading to the Somme and Ypres. I have a personal connection at the Meuse Argonne due to my great uncle being killed in action here. The following are areas of interest to me that I plan on going to in the Argonne, within 7-8 days.

- Meuse Argonne American cemetery, memorial day ceremony

- Romagne 14-18 museum

- Hill 378, 316th infantry memorial. This is where my great uncle fought and fell.

- various German cemeteries

- Vauquois 

-montfaucon

- area of the lost battalion

- massiges

- Verdun area, Fort Vaux and Douaumont

( IF time permitting, I'd like to make it over to the vossges for the day, but this is about a 4 hour drive)

After 7-8 days, I'll be making my way to the some and staying in Perrone. I collect amateur photographs from the first world war, and have about 50 from Perrone I'll be doing " then and now" shots of. I plan on attending the following

- WW1 museum in Perrone

-Thiepval memorial

- Beumont-Hamel

-Hawthorn ridge

- Vimy ridge

- Wellington tunnels.

I also plan to poke into Belgium while stationed in Perrrone and visit the following

- Ypres area ( cemeteries, bunkers, hooge crater museum)

- " the trench of death"

- various Belgian cemeteries

-  Battery Aachen

- Ramskapelle observation station

I know this is a lot, but I will be taking advantage of my youth :)

If you have suggestions on other sites to visit, please let me know!

While others are likely to have specific ideas I would suggest one place. You state you intend to visit Verdun. If so there is one place that left an indelible mark on me.

Douaumont Ossuary

Specifically the absolutely massive and heartbreaking cemetary that sweeps down the hillside there. Indeed it is somewhat incomprehensible that there can be so many graves... and yet there unfortunately are.

That would be my suggestion.

P

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

While others are likely to have specific ideas I would suggest one place. You state you intend to visit Verdun. If so there is one place that left an indelible mark on me.

Douaumont Ossuary

Specifically the absolutely massive and heartbreaking cemetary that sweeps down the hillside there. Indeed it is somewhat incomprehensible that there can be so many graves... and yet there unfortunately are.

That would be my suggestion.

P

The ossuary is definitely a great add. I believe you need to pass the ossuary and cemetery to even get to fort Douaumont, so I will definitely make a stop there. Thanks for the suggestion! 

• Admin

The Vosges is possible from Verdun, but it's quite a way, you would have to stay overnight, and there's so much to see, a day wouldn't do it justice. I went there via a rather roundabout route two years ago on a motorcycle , and again last year, starting from near Noyon, via a more direct route. I would recommend the Voie  Sacree and also the Butte de Vauquois whilst in the Verdun area.

Michelle 

28 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

The Vosges is possible from Verdun, but it's quite a way, you would have to stay overnight, and there's so much to see, a day wouldn't do it justice. I went there via a rather roundabout route two years ago on a motorcycle , and again last year, starting from near Noyon, via a more direct route. I would recommend the Voie  Sacree and also the Butte de Vauquois whilst in the Verdun area.

Michelle 

Thanks for your input Michelle. I do agree 1 day isn’t enough. I would most likely go to Le Linge, Or Hartmannswillerkopf. It sounds like I need to extend a day or two, my OCD doesn’t like visiting the entire front from the Belgian coast all the way down and not making it to the mountains to complete the front :) 

• Admin

Le Linge is well worth a visit. I haven't managaed HWK as we took so long driving the Route Des Cretes to get there, we didn't have time to climb up! 

4 hours ago, Sturmmann1918 said:

Hello everyone, 

I'll be making the trip "over there" from the states on May 28th, 2021. I plan on flying back home June 14th, 2021. I was hoping those who have visited France and Belgium could give me some pointers on less known battlefield sites, memorials etc. 

Once I arrived in France, I'll be making my way over to the Meuse-Argonne to begin my trip, then heading to the Somme and Ypres. I have a personal connection at the Meuse Argonne due to my great uncle being killed in action here. The following are areas of interest to me that I plan on going to in the Argonne, within 7-8 days.

Hello, I do guiding around the Argonne/Verdun across to Metz, area. I'm not sure whether I will be able to guide next May, but if you get in touch via my website ; Luxembourg-battles.lu we can discuss all sorts of places.

Hello, Sturmmann1918 - 

You have quite a list of sites to visit.  If you have to omit any of those sites due to time constraints, I suggest that you visit two locations - Vauquois and Massiges - no matter what.  To me, Vauquois is the most dramatic site I have ever visited on the Western Front.

If you go through the Reims area, I recommend visiting the Fort de la Pompelle.  The museum there is excellent, especially the pickelhaube collection.

Additionally, while at Vimy Ridge I highly recommend visiting the two private museums at La Targette and Notre Dame de Lorette.   Both of these incredible museums are owned by the same man, David Bardiaux, who in my opinion has one of the best WWI private collections in France.

I envy you your trip.  Good luck!

Regards, Torrey

On 24/08/2020 at 14:02, Sturmmann1918 said:

Thanks for your input Michelle. I do agree 1 day isn’t enough. I would most likely go to Le Linge, Or Hartmannswillerkopf. It sounds like I need to extend a day or two, my OCD doesn’t like visiting the entire front from the Belgian coast all the way down and not making it to the mountains to complete the front :) 

If you were choosing one or the other, I suggest that le Linge offers more for a short visit and is nearer to Verdun. You have the memorial site (the battlefield visitor centre), two major cemeteries (Wettstein and Hohrod-Bärenstall), the other parts of the battlefield Schratzmännle and Barrenkopf, the vallée de Munster with the sites of Metzeral, la Chapelle d'Emm (memorial to the men who died in the Vosges), the Musée de l'Ambulance Alpine (the hospital) at Mittlach and better access to places to eat or stay.  You could also visit Reichackerkopf. This would need about three days but it gives you some to pick from. If you do go to le Linge, choose a quiet time (not a weekend, not a main holiday). 

HWK is obviously rewarding but I'm not a fan of the new visitor centre. There is a path round the battlefield but really it's better to be able to visit with someone who can take you off the main trail. 

Gwyn  

Edited by Dragon