Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kemmel Dugouts

stephen binks

Has anybody further information on these duggouts? I know they were used by the 36th and 19th Division artillery for June 7th 1917. One of them has a red cross that is still visible( although not sure it is original)

Interested on thoughts about the graffetti!

Only posting because after more than 9 hours there is no reply yet.

Sorry Stephen, I have no info. Where were these dugouts exactly ?

Are they related to the three (four ?) Lettenberg bunkers (concrete shelters) that were excavated some time ago, and that will be shown to the public on April 17th ? (There is a thread about them.)

No info about the red cross either. All I know is that a short distance from Hop Store Cemetery there is a farm with a red cross on a side wall (there was a thread about that too some months ago), but Hop Store is at Vlamertinge. Too far away.

Can you be a bit more specific ?

Aurel

Ah! You beat me to it Aurel!!!

I was about to ask... which "Kemmel Dug-outs"? There were tons of them! Do you refer to "Kemmel Shelters" (which are nearby the bunkers mentioned above), but no trace of which exist today, the lettenberg bunkers , or somewhere completely different?

I've got a couple of the "kemmel" 1:10,000 scale maps (one of which shows (nearly) all dugouts, etc), so , if you let us know exactly where you are referring to, I 'll see if they're shown.

Dave. :)

Stephen,

So the Lettenberg shelters. Sorry, I have no info on them, but maybe you can find what you are looking for in this :

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...9&hl=lettenberg

Dave,

There are nights that a man can go to bed with the prospect of having the most wonderful sweet dreams. Knowing that he has beaten someone. Yesterday night was one of them. ;)

Aurel

Thank you for the replies and links....very interesting. Sorry it took so long to reply ( just arrived back)