Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tony De Bruyne

genevrac

For those who knew Tony it is with sad regret that I have to inform you that whilst on holiday in Spain he sadly passed away. It was noted today in the Het Volk local Flanders paper. I am sure that I speak for everyone who knew him in saying that he did a lot in rememberance of the Great War and he will be greatly missed.

Genevra

And for those who did not know Tony: Tony was a long time volunteer at the Documentation Centre (formerly known as the Documentation Centre Caenepeel, named after a veterinary surgeon from Ypres who collected items related to the two world wars) and one of the men behind the Ypres Salient Museum, the predecessor of the In Flanders Fields Museum.

Someone called Tony "a walking encyclopedia" for his invaluable knowledge about all aspects of military warfare.

He will indeed be sadly missed in Ypres and elsewhere :( .

I'd known Tony for a fair few years now (I used to get extremely favourable exchange rates in Sterling to BF from him many moons ago :) ). Amongst other things, his translatory skills on various documents were (for me) second to none.

Very sad to hear this news. He'll be missed. :(

Dave.

Not only veterans "disapear"... Also the walking books, like Tony.

I hope you don't understand me wrong.

For those are interested or considering attending Tony's funeral service is being held at St Martin's Cathedral on Tuesday 1st March at 10.00am.

Genevra