Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ploughing over cemetery paths?

dah

Yesterday, I got caught in a shower while in Fricourt New Military Cemetery. Thanks to 200-300 metres of CWGC path having been ploughed over (first time ever encountered here) I was caked in mud by the time I got back to the main track!

Happens every year when visiting 2nd Canadian Cem (in between Pozieres & Contalmaison. Opposite Sunken Road Cem). Always ploughed over.

Similar situation today (although sunny & dry, so no mud) in accessing Grandcourt Road Cemetery. This farmer ALWAYS ignores the path, so walking through crops or getting muddy is perfectly normal here. The picture below shows end of the path (foreground) and the Grandcourt Rd Cem at centre before the treeline. Quite a distance!

BTwo_x1n9oht-B8WYZGRCWd7Hr3bfCM-OQmsNI3FOgDZlAIS8nmA3INSL7SRj69vOxrjqdrtUvior486jSIAkPa937YYxPWcI3YIF69ohuXQfM8ZudBJz-V-2Sprs6c7ZgUKYyeGnOyIIPjPA5AD_kXcR_AD9lxwNz9o33ntza31AjWgIDuwhkMjGpayuwK0HBQ8i33nbhOnhrpfb8V3FSrDXFRNC4ra-2UssnG2KC-iu6crgtwiAIlv8ROpwG71rK5XTn7PGRkWbQodTJeLMN7KJlASnAVNB_3EgwVhQk21d1Nb-Es535NLR0FXoJb4IFPlHAosB3BusVWkBO31BpTdX34BJ6rNo0X_JwxAB1Rq1xaj_ErZ_xhn7NIGG795TGe_piw0DcyfCbrUVag6o7kP-Du04bDP7lEM4dy-0CiQPlGX0jtxaMApKnsuDpOZotUYzSFRu4aXMFdXZBdRVwtObioflHWO-Q4sOtI7Dt2B9QZfC6f0qQfdORRz14dwf8TzERML7jEmLkvgGe3MUhHCRjBEVjOH1-v2WsDsxYyNeOGMOYcSgVBszCFtAIRbjYDy3HYYq9kVmq_KOHiUtGU7YRcOKk68DTJ8QiLrIWLVZ1DUgxFIELMPW9eoGskJdZSpTGcGEvirEpCeE9Lx8d6vgK0ZUQY-WtyZwDvqhpdhbFnh9_xM-O5edghaVw=w457-h609-no?authuser=0

Is there not some rule or understanding that farmers should respect and work around CWGC paths.....or is it one of these vague issues where CWGC relies on the goodwill of the farmer...but can basically do nothing about it if the farmer decides otherwise?

It's 'mildly' annoying.

Regards,

David