Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A moment of serendipitous joy

Bardess

After looking at the new CWGC thread I decided to take a look at the GRRF and other attachments of a random Smethwick man [Frederick William Day] and looked at the headstone attachments. His name appears on the Screen Wall but, reading the 2nd page of the headstone schedules, I found the original epitaph [and address of his widow] and it truly is wonderful to read. Hope others are lucky enough to find hidden gems such as this.

Headstone no 61

IWGC 2 - with epitaph.JPG

Graves Registration Report Form.jpg

Graeme Clarke.jpg

Always nice to see happiness resulting from a research "find" - but oh dear - the man above him, 9571 Brazenell - a victim of AO56 of 1920. I suffer a fit of bruxism every time I see that ... "Welch" :angry:

Tom

I am currently doing research on the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiiers. He is Herbert Brazenell ( Brazenhall in some sources).

image.png.f7fe641edd56cd5a84b01f4e97a75fee.png

9 minutes ago, Ron da Valli said:

… Welsh

Exactly - Welsh during WW1 - NOT Welch. Its amazing how many people will argue to the contrary until the cows come home - I've even had ex-"Welch" post 1920 soldiers and officers argue the point quite vehemently.

Tom

6 hours ago, Ron da Valli said:

Brazenhall in some sources

His 1914 Star MIC is under Braxenhall ^_^ [I have that pic from the Evening Despatch]

7 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Always nice to see happiness resulting from a research "find"

Indeed

14 hours ago, Bardess said:

Headstone no 61

IWGC 2 - with epitaph.JPG

IIRC headstone 67 on that schedule belongs to a very young (18 y.o.?) RAF lad called Alfred John Cam. If so, I’m pretty sure I have his medals and plaque. I think the ‘screen wall’ is a low parapet surrounding a CWGC cross. 

2 hours ago, headgardener said:

I’m pretty sure I have his medals and plaque.

Ooh; may I please have a pic? He is Arthur James Cam and will share what I have with you [not much though, sadly]

CWGC.jpg

Screen Wall.jpg

I haven't looked at those medals for about 15+ years, so I'm glad to see my memory is still reasonably serviceable! I'm pretty sure I've still got them, and will definitely send some pics, but all my medals are in boxes in a big chest under some other big chests so I won't be able to lay hands on them until I move things around a bit! It's a bit like those games you used to get as a kid where you moved tiles around a frame so as to position them in a certain order..... If you know what I mean?! Be patient and I should be able to find them in a few days......