Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ely War Memorial - Cambrideshire

Kitchener's Bugle

Ely’s main war memorial is situated in the Market Square and was unveiled on 30th April 1922. 

E1.jpg

This memorial commemorates the residents of Ely who were killed or missing in World War I (224 names) and World War II (92 names).

E2.jpg

This first shrine was officially unveiled by the Bishop in an early evening service on 29th June 1917. The service was attended by relatives and friends of the deceased and the Ely Volunteers.   At this point the shrine carried 107 names and further photographs and tributes were to be added over the next year and a half.  

E3.jpg

Finally the names of 224 dead were inscribed on the six panels of the 1922 memorial and the archway carries the shields of the Diocese of Ely (three crowns) and Ely Cathedral (three keys).  Whereas the temporary memorial had been created against the wall of the cathedral precincts (in fact against the garden wall of one of the canon's residences), to create the new memorial the permission of the Dean and Chapter had to be sought to knock through the medieval wall and take over a small area of the cathedral's grounds. 

E4.jpg

The memorial is currently in very good order and the panels maintained to a good audible standard. 

E6.jpg

Here are the other panels:-

E7.jpg

E8.jpg

E9.jpg

E9A.jpg

A postcard showing the memorial at the time of it's unveiling can be seen on the Roll of Honour site.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Cambridgeshire/ElyWorldWar1.html

There are also additional memorials inside the Cathedral itself showing many of the same names - it's a long way down on my to do list to try and carry out a reconciliation.

BTW - did you mean

4 minutes ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

the panels maintained to a good audible standard.

Cheers,

Peter

Excellent Thanks PRC :D

The panels in the cathedral are on wooden screens, I did my best to photograph them and will post those for you later.

KB

Did you get this one as well?

770543863_1606130002ElyCathedral.JPG.8e5631076a6c900c2ba524b7da2e85d2.JPG

and as well as the wooden panel there is a separate memorial to the Choristers and a Boer War Memorial - unfortunately my pictures of those aren't really useable so I was going to revisit at some point.

Cheers,

Peter

Here are the screens - difficult to photograph , especially without a flash, and it was cordoned off so you could not get any closer!.

ELY 70.jpg

ELY 71.jpg

ELY 72.jpg

Edited by Kitchener's Bugle

ely 80.jpg

ely 81.jpg

ely 82.jpg

ely 90.jpg

ely 91.jpg

ely 92.jpg

ely 100.jpg

ely 101.jpg

ely 102.jpg

ely 150.jpg

ely 155.jpg

Edited by Kitchener's Bugle

1 hour ago, PRC said:

Did you get this one as well?

Actually I missed that one! 

But, did you see this which is a bit unusual.

ELY 60.jpg

ELY 61.jpg

I had Vails medals once :poppy:

Another :- 

Albert Julian Pell

Elder son of the Rev. Beauchamp H. St. John Pell, Rector of Ickenham, Middlesex, and Mrs. Pell; husband of Catherine Marion Pell, of 2, Onslow Square, South Kensington, London. Called to the Bar from Lincoln's Inn, 1890. Deputy Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire. Chairman of the Isle of Ely Quarter Sessions. Gazetted to General Staff 1914. Served as Divisional Musketry Officer, Northern Area, Western Command.

ely200.jpg

10 minutes ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

But, did you see this which is a bit unusual.

Unfortunately the sun was streaming in and catching it if I remember rightly which is why I had it marked down as one to go back and have another go at - plus the camera I had back in 2013 couldn't take anything bigger than a 64Mb memory card:)

868693332_1606130009ElyCathedral.JPG.a9a63a7c9d36fd7367d2c7cd0e4b6b76.JPG

Cheers,

Peter

2 hours ago, PRC said:

and a Boer War Memorial - unfortunately my pictures of those aren't really useable so I was going to revisit at some point.

Very difficult to capture those polished plaques in low light with reflections but here it is.

ely 300.jpg

Kings School Ely

Ely sch 1.jpg

Ely Sch 2.jpg