Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trawler service as Junior Officer?

Danny Red

Hello all,

I'm currently doing some research on a Royal Naval Reserve Chap. I've managed to locate his WW1 ratings record, where it says that he was discharged in 1917 in order to take up a position as a junior officer on a trawler. I would be very grateful if anyone could shed light on, or help with, the following:

1. I can not find any record of his trawler service as a junior officer in 1917; i've tried his name in the National Archive for the Merchant and RNR officer records to no avail...

2. At the bottom of his deployments it lists "Lingfield" very faintly. Am I correct in supposing that this is HMS Lingfield, racehorse class mine sweeper?

3. The other mystery is that he seems to have been stationed on HMS Marmora (armed merchant vessel) for a decent spell. Although I can't find his name on the crew lists (both transcripts and originals)?

This is the fist research project I've done, so any help would be great.

Thanks,

Dan

BT-377-7-5783.pdf

9 minutes ago, Danny Red said:

The other mystery is that he seems to have been stationed on HMS Marmora (armed merchant vessel) for a decent spell.

Correct but not an "armed merchat vessel" but, more specifically, HMS MARMORA, an Armed Merchant Cruiser (AMC) of the Royal Navy. There are no "crew lists".

13 minutes ago, Danny Red said:

Am I correct in supposing that this is HMS Lingfield, racehorse class mine sweeper?

Correct - a paddle minesweeper.

He appears on the Admiralty Medal Roll as a Mate ijn the Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR), earning his trio of medals in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary oiler/tanker TREFOIL.

55 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

He appears on the Admiralty Medal Roll as a Mate ijn the Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR), earning his trio of medals in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary oiler/tanker TREFOIL.

Could you please provide the source (or link to) for this info. I'm struggling to find it. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Danny Red said:

Regarding the Marmora, are these not the crew lists: https://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/document/195213

They are Mercantile Marine (MM) or MMR crew lists. I was referring to naval crew lists of HMS MARMORA in which he served in war as a Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) seaman, not MM. The mix of MM (MMR) and RNR ratings in one ship is very confusing.

HMS MARMORA's log is here:  http://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-08-HMS_Marmora.htm

24 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

You can download the medal roll from Kew. He is listed in ADM 171/93 (page 394) -  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C975063

Thank you Horatio, that's astounding! I have a medal index card for him issued in 1919, and none of those medals are listed - he has just has been issued the British medal (T.124). Any idea why this would be the case? In addition, is there any reason why I can not find a service record (separate from his RNR ratings service), corresponding to his time on Trefoil. Is it simply because these were not preserved or have not been digitalised?

And finally, what medals has he actually been issued here (St/V/B-s)?

Hugely appreciate the light you have managed to shed on his so far. Thought I had hit a wall. This if the first time I have done this kind of research, so thank you!!!

2 hours ago, Danny Red said:

Is it simply because these were not preserved or have not been digitalised?

MMR officers records are 'difficult' (if not impossible) in my opinion but another expert may come up with something.

2 hours ago, Danny Red said:

And finally, what medals has he actually been issued here (St/V/B-s)?

1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal - all three claimed by him from the Admiralty and issued to him (S = Self) after the war.