Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Colonel Gerard Evelyn LEACHMAN C I E, D S O Political Officer. Royal Sussex Regiment

Pompey

Dear David,

Thanks for that. Difficult to say, much less to be dogmatic! Bray could well be the older Officer...

I attach a scan of a 1089316243_PeggySpencerswedding.jpg.7108c1083f76177ece99eb467bcbe186.jpgPolitical Officer of the Indian Army, showing his white tabs to good effect.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 1 year later...

Adding this new photo of Leachman from another thread. Rare picture of him in uniform 

JLWLEACHMANBWCROP.jpg.4a87d4ea3872737def3fbdf588ccb622.jpg

Dear David,

Super, many thanks.

Any idea where the picture of Leachman standing at the car (looking quite exhausted), was taken, and when?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

41 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear David,

Super, many thanks.

Any idea where the picture of Leachman standing at the car (looking quite exhausted), was taken, and when?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

It was posted up on the LAMB & LCP units thread by mcassell. It is one photo from album of an 8th L.A.M.B officer, when Leachman visited 8th L.A.M.B  - so probably late 1918 or 1919. He's mentioned in the L.A.M.B brigade war diary visiting HQ and also mentioned in battery war diaries. He had a lot of dealings with L.A.M.B units and although not their actual commander he had quite extensive use of their services. 

Dear David,

Many thanks for your welcome and succinct remarks and information.

It merely increases one's thoughts regarding the waste of a particularly gallant and capable officer. At least he was recognised with Decorations during his lifetime.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

53 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear David,

Many thanks for your welcome and succinct remarks and information.

It merely increases one's thoughts regarding the waste of a particularly gallant and capable officer. At least he was recognised with Decorations during his lifetime.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

He was not wasted in Mesopotamia - in fact they made very good use of his abilities and local knowledge. However a lot of this is not really public knowledge as after the war Lawrence went to great lengths to promote his agenda and downplay others and Leachman being dead by then he was easer to whitewash.

On his involvement with the L.A.M.B units after the war there is a darker note. They were under Leachman's orders and used as his "iron fist" to carry out his pacification of the locals. My mother said she felt my grandfather was affected by this era more than the war. He had joined up to fight the Germans (and there after the Turks). I'm sure some of the stuff they were tasked to do would now be considered war crimes. Shooting civilians as reprisals, burning down villages and driving women and kids out into the desert. 

Dear David,

Yes, I appreciate all that. 'Wasted' referred more to his untimely death more than anything.

Interesting but not surprising the 'dark side' of his soldiering - that sort of thing going on until this day.

As far as Leachman is concerned, one realises they had a different "Mind-set" in his day (including hunting wild Big Game, for example),,,

Kindest regards,

Kim.