Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Name of 'hidden' cemetery in Ieper

Le_Treport

Many years ago I was driving out of Ieper and saw a CWGC sign to a cemetery. It was still in the town, and at a guess, I would say it was either the Meenseweg (Menin Road) or the Zonnebeekseweg. We were driving away from the town centre, and it was on the left hand side. We parked, and walked down a narrow lane between 2 houses, then IIRC a L turn at the end of their garden then a R turn. Cemetery was literally at the end of the garden and I think there were houses beyond.

Today - I'm damned if I can find it on Google Earth or map! It was well before Hellfire Corner or the Potijze  cemeteries.

I can't see any candidates on the Holts' map either.

Can anyone put me out of my misery please? 

Edited by Le_Treport

No, wasn't out in the field like Wieltje farm. It was most like the entrance to the Potije cemeteries (see photo) but wasn't this far out - definitely  had access between houses. Looking at Google again, the roads in the centre have terraces of houses, and I recall them being more like bigger, detatched/semis. 

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 20.11.50.png

1 hour ago, johntanner said:

Wieltje Farm?

Uhm - that's what I thought

Tom

1239983037_gwfWieltjeFarmCemeteryTT-Mf7.JPG.beed2a60fbf9d200d80883c1375ff8ee.JPG

1728444379_gwfWieltjeFarmCemeteryTT-Mfx.JPG.2d0cc8184294ebc10e3fdce635e9d4cb.JPG

• Admin

Not in Ypres but Tuilerie in Zillebeeke is down a track between houses 

Not this then ?

738051845_gwfxxxpossibleCapture..JPG.861982c1e8ce3aac1af1d9cd07df7ec3.JPG

Otherwise - any update on the location as this NE to SW quadrant from the centre of Ypres and the "well before Hellfire Corner or the Potijze  cemeteries" has me scratching my head.

Tom

Tuileries?  (as already proposed by Michelle Young)  It's on the right side of the road though, coming out of Ieper/Ypres.

And yes, it looks like you're trespassing on someone's property, instead of going to a British cemetery.

2024706027_Tuileries0.jpg.fd8fefcf3d07140946ceaeb3da61dc87.jpg

298483974_Tuileries1.jpg.4bf071336c88c05df550a8c8810a0722.jpg

1365193281_Tuileries2.jpg.0bb3a515ca9c954f6e3a39dd8de50574.jpg

879807863_Tuileries3.jpg.c9eedcc364be5086e6bd2533cd920128.jpg

I've spent the evening trying to find the photos from that trip - pre digital! 

I'm good now, in that the first shot at any cemetery is of the cemetery name, but then....

Perhaps it was Brigadoon New British Cemetery and it will re-appear at some point! 

Don't think it was Tuilieries - although that looks like an unusual/interesting one. It was about that size.

14 hours ago, Le_Treport said:

Many years ago I was driving out of Ieper and saw a CWGC sign to a cemetery. It was still in the town, and at a guess, I would say it was either the Meenseweg (Menin Road) or the Zonnebeekseweg.

Ypres Town Cemetery Extension is located 1 kilometre east of Ieper town centre, on the Zonnebeekseweg (N332), connecting Ieper to Zonnebeke

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/2000018/YPRES TOWN CEMETERY EXTENSION/

I seem to recollect parking on the Zonnebeekseweg and walking down an alley to the entrance to the cemetery.

image.png.f40b934b773c1c38433ed70df08ef3da.png

?

500589285_gwfgdn.JPG.e5600ef200dcf992ad07a47c09d20df6.JPG

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will dig out my photos from the depthless box and then try to match.

6 hours ago, Le_Treport said:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will dig out my photos from the depthless box and then try to match.

Look forward to hearing, because having just made another search you have me scratching my head :blink:

Tom

I was right with the Google view I posted earlier. It was Potijze Chateau! I remember we were there in the evening, and after a little digging found the photo.

It WAS taken in 1992, so nearly 30 years ago (eek!). Looks like the hedges have gone from the houses either side. 

Thanks for the suggestions - and it shows that I'm not completely ga-ga yet!

2020-08-15-0001.jpg.541fd7ec10573bf16a39bfbf946c3674.jpg1078033884_Screenshot2020-08-15at15_19_32.png.4595498309f72d89e275cc4844cbd19c.png

I was going to suggest White House, just outside of Ypres and on the way to Potijze and St Charles. 

There's four in total: Potijze Chateau Grounds / Lawn / Burial Ground and Wood... 

We're passing there next week normally, I can make some better pics for you if you want. 

M.

Thank you for the offer Marilyne - I'm just planning a trip (don't know when!!) and wanted to revisit the cemetery

10 hours ago, Le_Treport said:

planning a trip (don't know when!!) 

I guess when we're done risking a quarantine on coming back in our respective sides of the Channel !!  

I have the same problem right now ... need to consult some non digitized files in Kew and at the IWM, but right now... not possible! 

M.

Thanks for posting this useful information. In 1918 I visited the Potijze Burial Ground Cemetery. At the time I believe that was the only CWGC cemetery in Potijze. After looking at the CWGC burial records for the other three cemeteries in Potijze find that I have three more cemeteries in the area to visit on my next trip!

18 minutes ago, John P. Moore said:

Thanks for posting this useful information. In 1918 I visited the Potijze Burial Ground Cemetery. At the time I believe that was the only CWGC cemetery in Potijze. After looking at the CWGC burial records for the other three cemeteries in Potijze find that I have three more cemeteries in the area to visit on my next trip!

Either you are very old, or capable of time travel🥴

Freshly back from the very special and top secret "St Bernardus walks"... this is the the hidden cemetery we're all talking about... 

M.

D94A0193.JPG.c8ee1425fa61b17a743943cd6a840b4b.JPG

What about the cemetery (?) where the chap bet his mate both had been wounded many many times,said the next one shot would  buy dinner for the battalion, sniper shot him dead,I think he was a vc winner and had all vc winners carry his coffin, its just outside ypres  you have to go through allotments up a side alley?

Waffle Cemetery. 

Location classified. 

M.