Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Saps at Beaumont Hamel 1.7.1916

ZIL

Help sought...does  anyone know where I can find a map or document showing the numbered Saps from the British front line particularly those leading to the Sunken Lane area.

I believe two Saps were driven...Sap 7 is mentioned in several docs which I believe came out on the left a the bottom end of the lane?

Thanks Zil

15 minutes ago, Open Bolt said:

Tunnel B (Sap 6 or 1st Avenue) from Q.10.d.1.65 to Q.10.d.45.7. Tunnel C (Sap 7 or Mary Tunnel) from Q.17.a.4.3 to Q.17.a.7.55

and "A" would be the one leading to the Sunken Lane (if that is the one that Zil is interested in)?

Thank you...yes “A’’ is the one I am interested in but the attached is from the 1/2 Monmouthshire’s Pioneers Divisional Order 22/6/16.This also mirrors the handwritten order to Lt Williams.The locations are the same but the reference for Sap 7 on previous post is for the Mary Tunnel C.Interesting!! ZilF91C3F8E-C1F7-434F-8271-0BD751FCF315.jpeg.05edefa7656962828b795169bd7ec04e.jpeg

That’s true...I have concentrated on 1/7 but no matter “A” is the Sap I was interested in which has been identified.

it’s still fascinating to see how things change in a short period.Zil

There are many threads on the forum about the Sunken Lane, some of which include a discussion {and some photos) of  where the Sap joined it - if it is the one used by 1LF on 1 July 1916 that you are interested in.

Edited by Don Regiano

Thank you,

I have looked and found some of what you say is there...all of which is informative and appreciated.Maybe I’m being too demanding  in expecting  somewhere it’s all on one map or document for 1.7.16 bearing in mind all the units that were involved.I am content that Sap 7 for 1.7.16 has been identified including the ‘proposed’ extension.

i am also informed that there were two tunnels dug towards the Sunken Lane.If that were the case I would have expected the 252 tunnellers to complete both being relatively close together but can only find the reference to the one from Sap 7.Am I missing something!!!! Zil

On 11/08/2020 at 22:33, Don Regiano said:

Tunnel B (Sap 6 or 1st Avenue) from Q.10.d.1.65 to Q.10.d.45.7. Tunnel C (Sap 7 or Mary Tunnel) from Q.17.a.4.3 to Q.17.a.7.55

That all lies up pretty nicely with the contemporary map and Jay's war diary entry from the other thread.

image.png.cd42be34be5aced20702d65d2758eb9c.png

conversions & georeferencing via tmapper.com

I've collected up a number of maps taken from various diaries generally for the 29th Division but also 4th. Plus pre- attack aeriels. 

The divisional boundary was not far north of sap 7 and there were 4th division troops in the northern end of SL.

The more diaries one reads the more variation you discover. The length of trench dug by the Monmouths, the time they started and duration of the dig varies.

The full contingent in the southern end of SL 1/7/16 also seems to be questionable.

TEW

Thank you again for the input....I agree regarding War Diary content...those that have the detail or operational orders.These orders can be changed in what was a developing and in some ways an unknown...but there had to be a basic plan.

i am not trying to achieve the perfect picture, but from the input now have a ‘reasonable ‘ account of the locations.

Zil