The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trying to Identify Soldier

whogan

I am trying to identify the gentleman in the linked photo. I believe it to be Edward Pearson, who served in WWI. However I am not certain. I was hoping someone might be able to help me from this uniform as to where he might be from, or regiment.

If it is who I think it is, Edward Pearson was likely from Wandsworth, Surrey England as he married my grandmother who was living there before and after WWI. It is believed he was killed in battle, however I am unable to find on the CWWG site because I do not have enough information about him.

His photo in dress uniform can be found here:

Photo in Uniform the orignal photo is more sepia in colour.

A close up of the Hat Pin as well the lapel pin I believe the lapel pin has SWB on it. While I've done some research online on Silver War Badge I am confused as to what it might mean.

Any help at all greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Your man is an officer in the South Wales Borderers....probably a 2nd Lieutenant. I cannot find any officers by the name of PEARSON who died serving with the SWB's. There is only one officer named Edward Pearson listed.....a 2nd Lieutenant who served with the Royal Field Artillery. Although he appears to be from Northampton.

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=156636

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=4

I also tried Edward Pearson's who had a Medal Index Card. There appears to be none who saw war service with the SWB's. It is possible that if this is your man he served with the SWB's and later transferred to the RFA where he was KIA.

Do you have any more details such as a middle name.

Are you sure this is a WW1 photo?

Rgds

Tim D

post-1-1109029717.jpg

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I am grasping at straws. I found the photo in my grandmother's album with no notations as to who it was. I know very little about her first husband, other than he served in WWI and we have been told he died. I was hoping the photo might be him by identifying the uniform and pins.

There was little discussion about him after she remarried my grandfather and went onto a life in Canada.

I will order her original marriage certificate and should be able to obtain further information about him that way.

Thank you very much for your quick reply and help.

Wendy

Now how the heck did I miss that one! I've gone through all of the "E" Pearsons on the site trying to find one who died around 1918 and were from Surrey/Lambeth area. Thank you.

So my next question would be -- do you think the man in the uniform would fit or perhaps it is someone else?

Thank you so much

Wendy

• 3 weeks later...

I recently received my Edward Pearson's marraige certificate to my Grandmother. On it states that Edward Albert Pearson was a Private in the 3rd Royal West Surrey Regiment. in brackets says (Factory Labourer)

I was able to pick up his Medal Card which states he was with The Queens R, R.W. Surr. Rgt. The rest is mostly Greek to me so I am hoping someone can clarify what it all means.

There is what looks to be a KA in Cause of Discharge which I assume is killed in action, however even with a discharge date I still can't find him on Commonwealth War graves site. I am obviously missing something.

His full name was Edward Albert Pearson b: 1895 Surrey/Wandsworth, father was Albert Edward Pearson.

I will attempt to attach the image :)

Any help at all greatly appreciated

Wendy

post-1-1110578088.gif

Wendy

Your man was discharged form service in 1919 alive under Kings Regs (KR not KA). He did not die during the war but after the CWGC cut off date in 1921 (??).

Roop

Thanks very much for the clarification. I'd always been told he died at war so was hoping to find information to inidcate that.

I'll have to keep digging.

Wendy

discharged from service in 1919 alive under Kings Regs .

Wendy, to be discharged under/by/through Kings Regs one had to be alive.

Kings Regs are a list of various reasons including, no further requirement by the army.

Hope this is a bit clearer??

Roop

Thank you, somewhat clears the matter up. Perhaps he died after his discharge, I do know my grandmother remarried in 1921 and her new marriage certifcate lists her as a widow.

Wendy

So my next question would be -- do you think the man in the uniform would fit or perhaps it is someone else?

Wendy

The officer in the photo is almost certainly not your man, Wendy. There is no indication that the man of the medal card was ever commissioned and it is not likely that a factory labourer would be officer material. I don`t know quite why, but the SWB officer looks a bit later than WW1 to me. By the way, did you confuse Silver War Badge with South Wales Borderers for SWB? Easy mistake to make!

Phil B

The officer in the photo is almost certainly not your man, Wendy. There is no indication that the man of the medal card was ever commissioned and it is not likely that a factory labourer would be officer material. I don`t know quite why, but the SWB officer looks a bit later than WW1 to me.

Perhaps it is WWII, I really don't know who the photo is of, only that it was in my grandmothers album.

By the way, did you confuse Silver War Badge with South Wales Borderers for SWB? Easy mistake to make!

Yes, appears that is what I did. I am extremely ignorant when it comes to anything military. Folks here have really been helpful in trying to educate me.

Thanks for your comments.

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

I recently discovered that my Edward Albert PEARSON, may have been listed as Albert Edward PEARSON, despite what his marriage certificate indicates.

I did find an Albert Edward PEARSON on the Commonwealth War Graves site who died March 22, 1918, Pozieres Memorial. 60988, 11th Bn. Royal Fusiliers.

I am now trying to find out if this is "my" Albert Edward Pearson. I purchased several of what I thought might be his Medal Card, however there were 171 Albert Pearsons, with many, many being Albert Edward. I did find three with Royal Fusilers, but not being clear how to read these cards could not figure out if they were him or not. I simply couldn't not find one indicated a death of 1918.

As previusly noted, "my" Pearson indicated he was with the 3rd Royal West Surrey regiment in 1916 on his marriage certificate. Is it possible for him to have gone onto the Royal Fusilers?

I have ordered the death certificate for the Albert Pearson who died March 22, 1918 hoping it will state the next of kin as my grandmother. Being in Canada however, it will be weeks before I recieve it.

Any advice appreciated.

Wendy Sherratt Hogan

I did find an Albert Edward PEARSON on the Commonwealth War Graves site who died March 22, 1918, Pozieres Memorial. 60988, 11th Bn. Royal Fusiliers.

Well Wendy, sorry i cant confirm whether he was or not, but for what its worth:

IF he was with the 11th RF's he was in the 54th Brigade, 18th Division. He was KIA perhaps when the 54th Bgde held the line breifly at Montsecourt Switch early morning of the 22nd, but more likely as they held The Crozat Canal all day at Mennessis, on the second day of Operation Michael. Lt Herring of the Northants won a VC & Cpt Browning of the Beds (both 54th Brigade) won an MC at Mennessis that day, so it was a hard day for the Bgde. The RF's had their flanks nibbled away at all day from memory. And if it is him, isnt it great timing, the time now being 12.20 on the 22nd March???!! :lol:

If its him & you would like more info on the day in question, i should be able to help a little as my GG was KIA the following day in the same brigade (7th Beds - see my signature), so ive researched those 3 days of the battle in depth. Send me an email & I will forward all thats relevant. (Click on my name on the top left corner of this post if you should need to send a mail.)

FYI, the 11th's roll call on the evening of 23rd March 1918 was just 26 soldiers, including 2 officers. Would estimate their battle / field strength on 21st March to have been a good 500 at least, maybe even up to 600, as they got very badly mauled on the 22nd and 23rd.

Cheers for now & good luck Wendy

Steve

Heres the MIC for the Pte 60988 Albert E Pearson http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

If nothing else, its definitely the same man listed on cwgc! Pop his Medal Index Card on here & we should be able to confim between us whether its him or not?

Also, if it turns out to be him, post again under a different title, mentioning the 11th RF's or 54th Brigade & 22nd March 1918 in the title itself, as there are definitely other Pals on forum with extra info on the Btn, Bgde and battle over and above what I have, so it will all help you with the picture!!

Im gonna have to shoot off now, but if it is him, mail me & Ill put something together for you with pleasure Wendy.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

Thank you for all of the information. Once I confirm if it's him or not will be in touch. Will be a while, can take time to get the certificate sent to Canada.

In meantime, here is the medal card:

Thanks again,

Wendy

post-6314-1111494647_thumb.jpg

After finding Albert Edward PEARSON on the Commonwealth War Graves site who died March 22, 1918, Pozieres Memorial. 60988, 11th Bn. Royal Fusiliers. I contacted a researcher to order a death certificate, I've used this researcher many times in the past.

Today he contacted me telling me he was unable to find in the WW1 army deaths.

I am now stumped.

Were all soldiers issued death certificates when killed in action? Is there a reason a soldier listed on the Commonwealth War Graves site would not be listed in WW1 army death records?

Is there any way for me to proceed to find out if this is my Albert Edward Pearson?

All suggestions welcome,

Thanks

Wendy

Heh, yea SWB most definately... made a comic-story couple years ago of a guy from this regiment and I never forget the cap-badge :D

Judging from the quality of the photo, the hairstyle and the fact that the insignia of rank are on the shoulders (almost all officers had their rank on their cuffs in WW1), I'd say that the officer is c. 1930s - 1945.

Also there's something about the style of the uniform which doesn't seem WW1.

May be wrong though - please correct me if I am.

He's definately a 2/Lt of the South Wales Borderers though.

Hugh.

Is there any way for me to proceed to find out if this is my Albert Edward Pearson?

All suggestions welcome,

Thanks

Wendy

Cant help with the Death cert query Im afraid - my GG's came through OK from the Oversees deaths section. Id have thought that even if he was missing in action, a cert would eventually be issued, but someone will correct me if im wrong???

Have you got the "Soldiers died in great War" info - sometimes it can confirm or add details that cwgc doesnt have ... ask the forum in a new post if you havent got it (I dont have it Im afraid).

(Btw, a correction to an earlier post - the 11th RF's were at Jussy on the 22nd, not Mennessis - my mistake.)

Soz im not much help on this one ...

Steve

• 11 months later...

I'm tryng this from a new angle.

My grandmother, Ellen Gibb, had a brother, John Gibb, born 1887 in Wandsworth.

I checked the Medal Cards and found one for John Gibb

Corps: S.Wales Bord. Pte. 40879 - Trg Res (Training Reserve) 53223

Victory: J/1/101 B15 Pg 3703

That is all that is on the medal card.

Would someone be able to decipher for me. Any chance the man in the photo with SWB emblem could be John?

Thanks again,

Wendy

• 1 year later...

Just a quick update regarding Albert Edward Pearson

I was able to purchase his daughter's birth certificate. On it, her father is indicated as: Private, 11th Royal Fusiliers, of 43 Ballantine Street, Wandsworth.

I was then able to find him in The National Roll of the Great War:

Pearson, A.E., Private, 11th Royal Fusiliers. He joined in June 1916 an was speedily drafted to the Western front, where he took part in much heavy fighting, and was twice wounded. he was invalided home and was in hospital in Sheffield for some time. On his recovery he was again drafted to France and was killed in action near St. Quentin on March 22nd 1918. He was entitled to the General Service and Victory medals. 43 Ballantine Street, Wandsworth, S.W.18 X21859

I was then able to find him in the Soliders Died in Great War Database

Previous comments indicate he was discharged under "Queens R" on his medal card -- however, obviously he was KIA, would there be a reason it is not noted on his medal card?

Thanks

Wendy