Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

? Photo from WW1 India or North Africa ?

Kmp

Frank Brown from Bristol, UK served some time in India?

Hoping to get more/any information at all.

Born 1884?

Have seen previous posts with similar clothing- 1/4th Battalion Somerset light infantry tropical KD campaign uniform??

1597002787975582247142.jpg

Have you a specific interest in the soldier pictured or is it the uniform that you would like information about? A service number or any other biographical information you have would no doubt help members to help you.

Simon

Yes, it is KD and most interestingly he doesn’t have a Wolseley helmet, but a different type of solar topee, known I think as a pith helmet.  A slightly smaller type was nicknamed ‘Bombay bowler’. They had thicker sides than the Wolseley and the latter had a flat top without a vented dome.

He also appears to have black buttons which suggests either a regular rifle regiment, or a TF battalion with rifle volunteer antecedents that wore black insignia.

The carved hardwood table and foliage in the foreground very much suggests India as the setting of the photo.

82CDDBF8-8479-4152-A35C-B47C1E8C99EE.jpeg

AE8580CD-ADF9-4151-B92D-22014ECF6479.jpeg

60940E51-6F91-44E4-8D49-BDD967B25C49.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

This is a photo of my husband's  grandfather who died just before WW2.  We live in Canada and most relations in England who knew him are gone as well.

We have inherited the photo but do not know the story behind it and would love to find out anything and everything.

Spent time weeding through the internet and found this website that seemed to give me some hope.  Yes, I would appreciate help in any way. 
Thanks for the quick reply
KMP
17 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, it is KD and most interestingly he doesn’t have a Wolseley helmet, but a different type of solar topee, known I think as a pith helmet.  A slightly smaller type was nicknamed ‘Bombay bowler’. They had thicker sides than the Wolseley and the latter had a flat top without a vented dome.

He also appears to have black buttons which suggests either a regular rifle regiment, or a TF battalion with rifle volunteer antecedents that wore black insignia.

The carved hardwood table and foliage in the foreground very much suggests India as the setting of the photo.

82CDDBF8-8479-4152-A35C-B47C1E8C99EE.jpeg

AE8580CD-ADF9-4151-B92D-22014ECF6479.jpeg

60940E51-6F91-44E4-8D49-BDD967B25C49.jpeg

21 hours ago, mancpal said:

A service number or any other biographical information you have would no doubt help members to help you.

Simon

This is a very pertinent point.

KMP, 

thanks for your reply. Am I to assume you only have the photo? If you had paperwork or his medals we would have a good starting point given that they would bare his service number upon them. Failing that, could you provide anything else such as place/town of birth, parents or other family names, trade etc. However trivial it may seem, the smallest hint can often prove to be the key to discovering your ancestors life. Good luck with your search, you may be surprised what comes to the surface,

Simon

2 hours ago, Kmp said:

This is a photo of my husband's  grandfather who died just before WW2.  We live in Canada and most relations in England who knew him are gone as well.

We have inherited the photo but do not know the story behind it and would love to find out anything and everything.

Spent time weeding through the internet and found this website that seemed to give me some hope.  Yes, I would appreciate help in any way. 
Thanks for the quick reply
KMP

It will help a lot to trace any military record that may have survived (many were destroyed during WW2 bombing of London) if you can post any more detail regarding Frank Brown’s origins.

The black buttons and what appears to be a short, shoulder title on his left shoulder strap suggests a regular rifle regiment with a short acronym title.  There were four such regular army regiments, two with a 2-letter acronym and two with a 3-letter acronym.  Squinting at his shoulder I think that it might be one of the 2-letter regiments.  These would be the Rifle Brigade (RB) and the Scottish Rifles (SR), also known as the Cameronian’s.  Unfortunately there’s not much more that can be done without greater accuracy regarding his date of birth.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I wonder if the hardwood carved table could originate from Egypt or the middle east? I have a feeling India is more likely but such carving is common in many countries (my sister imports carved screens from Egypt) .

Simon

28 minutes ago, mancpal said:

I wonder if the hardwood carved table could originate from Egypt or the middle east? I have a feeling India is more likely but such carving is common in many countries (my sister imports carved screens from Egypt) .

Simon

Apparently it’s an Anglo-Indian style.  The foliage is also connected with India I think, although I cannot remember off hand what it’s called.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The broad leaf in the carving isn't something I'd associate with the middle east, it was simply a thought.

Simon

1 hour ago, mancpal said:

The broad leaf in the carving isn't something I'd associate with the middle east, it was simply a thought.

Simon

Egypt is the Middle East.  If you’re referring to India it’s South Asia.  As for the table:

https://www.vinterior.co/furniture/tables/side-tables/19th-c-octagonal-anglo-indian-carved-wood-table-with-glass-top?utm_campaign=1566994522&utm_content=295408715186&utm_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsu_8u9SR6wIVF-vtCh2ESgGkEAQYAiABEgKrGPD_BwE

Edited by FROGSMILE

I wonder if the double photograph frame on the table is Frank Brown's own, rather than just set-dressing?  It has the appearance of a 'travel' item.

It's very difficult to see, but the left photo appears to depict a young woman wearing a hat, and the right possibly the same woman seated indoors holding a young child.  Frank Brown's wife and child, perhaps?

C_J

I don't  know if he was Frank or Francis Brown? Haven't found his date of birth yet.

He had 6 children but I do not know if he was married before serving in WW1 ?  I can't make out the pictures  set on the table.

Born in Bristol so I am assuming he would have served in a somerset battalion but Bristol is near the Welsh border.