Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Retrying the 75th Division History thread

ddycher

Re the above. Is anyone interested in restarting a project I tried to get going almost 10 years go on the 75th Division. Damn where did the time go.

If anyone is interested be happy to restart this. Let me know. If we can get an interest here maybe we can bully the mods to moving it across.

Regards

Dave

Dave,

Count me in. I worked over the last years on many actions of the 75th Division. 

This is a very small country and actually - most of the division's battlefields are within an hour drive from where I live.

Eran

Great Eran

Lets try to pull in a couple more and we will kick it off. Would love to get Michael back in the frame if we can. He was a huge contributor to my early research.

Any thoughts on the best way to run it ?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

I guess that the first step is to define what is our goal: Is it to remain as a comprehensive GWF thread? Is it to develop to a 'Semi Official' Divisional History? If so - as a book? As a website?

The second thing is to do a comprehensive mapping of sources available: Official Histories, War Diaries, Regimental / Battalion Histories, Memoirs, Photos, Archive testimonies etc.   

Lots of work... No doubt - this is going to be a tedious task....

Eran 

Eran

My target would be to develop a "go to" reference here on the forum for those with an interest in the Division.

An amateur at this, who does it purely for pleasure and relaxation, I have no aspirations to publish. Happy though to assist in any way I can those who have such inclinations with materials I have collated over the years. Have the respective war diaries from the EEF down to unit level and the published histories that I have been able to identify. Along with service records and misc. personal references.

I have built a day by day account of the movements during the campaign (and key events on the Canal Defences leading up to it) along with limited studies on the places involved which for sure you have a much better appreciation of than I. My compilation is far from complete.15 years in I still have huge gaps and many unanswered questions. For me it would be a pleasure to challenge the assumptions I have made with differing view points.

Doesn't seem to be too many folks with an immediate interest. Perhaps we can keep it relatively informal and see if we can drum up more enthusiasm as we go ? I'll send you a PM with my personal contact details.

Regards

Dave

Yes. What can I do to help?

Hello, Dave.

My direct interest is in the 52nd (Lowland) Division, so obviously the 75th Division is very relevant for me.  I'd be happy to be involved and contribute in any way I can.

Regards,

Steven