Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21st NF (2nd Tyneside Scottish)

mrfrank

I have an original group photo of ‘Senior Officers, Warrant Officers, and Members of the Sergts’ Mess’ for this battalion taken at Alnwick on the 23rd June 1915 by Whinfield  Ltd photographers of Newcastle. 
I’m trying to identify the four officers featured and need assistance to confirm I have them right.

Having looked at the relevant Army Lists, I think it probably contains the following as we look at the photo L-R:

Major Charles James Hookham Gardner - 2 i/c 
Bt-Col Vesey Mangles Stockley - CO

Capt Stewart Alexander White - Adjutant (KiA 03Jul16 - confirmed by other images on-line)

Major Allan Graham Niven (KiA 01Jul16)

Can anyone confirm that I have the CO and the two Majors correctly identified as I don’t seem to be able to find anything further on-line.

If anyone has a particular interest in this battalion then either PM me or I can put further images of the photo on the thread. Likewise, if anyone can positively identify any Battalion Mess Members from mid-1915 then I’d be pleased to hear from you. 

Mike 

CA9EB259-7860-4CBA-9D15-549D8E5BBCB5.jpeg

Unusually his medals went to his son c/o his grandmother so assume something happened to his wife (Died in childbirth?) also his pension was awarded to his son. Described by his men as a big noble, looking fellow.

Although I cannot be 100% it appears that V.M.Stockley is the officer 2nd from the left because a) his cuff rank is correct and b) his medal ribbons are correct--he was an Indian Army officer and his medal entitlement is:  Egypt 1882; China 1900 and Khedives Bronze Star, which tallies with the ribbons he is wearing.

The Major on the extreme left wears the QSA and KSA ribbons which is possible because Gardner came to the battalion from the Reserve of Officers.  I cannot however confirm this from the War Services because he was probably already on the R of O when this was published.  However looking at the July 1915 Army List this shows him as 2 i/c so the chances of it being any other officer are very slight and there are only two Majors listed for the battalion, Gardner and Niven.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Edited by Old Owl

Thanks for that information Robert. Pretty sure it’s Stockley as CO and I’ve now 

just checked my Quarterly Army List for the period ending 31st Dec 1914 and the war services entry for CJH Gardner has him qualified for the QSA with six clasps only. No mention of KSA but I’m sure the Army Lists aren’t infallible. 

Edited by mrfrank

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Certainly Col. Stockley, he was replaced by Col. Dunbar-Stewart on the 16th July 1915 who appears in the Officers group photo shown in Brigadier Ternans book.

The other Officers are as stated  (Gardner [from 6th Yorks], White and Niven[both in Ternans photo of which I have a full named larger copy])

Hope that helps.

Certainly does help to confirm all the identities so thank you Tynesider. 
As stated, if anybody has a particular interest in this battalion/grouping, and would like to see the full image, then PM me and I’ll be happy to oblige. 

Mike

Hi Tynesider,

I don't suppose you have a photo of any of these fallen officer all 1/7/16 Fallen.

Be appreciated if you do. I know a photo of Simon Macdonald exists. PM me if you prefer

ARKLE NORMAN ARMITAGE 20th (Tyneside Scottish) Bn.
FLINT CHARLES WILLIAM 26th (Tyneside Irish) Bn.
HYNAM WALTER WILLIAM 26th (Tyneside Irish) Bn.
LAMB WALTER 22nd (Tyneside Scottish) Bn.
MacDONALD SIMON 23rd (Tyneside Scottish) Bn.
McGILLICUDDY J 26th (Tyneside Irish) Bn.

I have an interest in Lt. John McGillicuddy he was a  Metropolitan Police Officer prior to WW1.

I have completed a lot of research on him, happy to PM the research.

There is a photograph of him and the 26 th NF (Tyneside Irish ) Officers in a book Which I have at home. when back tomorrow can give you the details.

Good morning,

no they are not in the group photograph of the Officers of the 26th Battalion NF ( Tyneside Irish) .

They must have joined after the 12 th July 1915  after  he had completed his Officer training, gazette as a Temp .Lt  as the rank of John McGillicuddy in the photograph is Lt .

I am happy to look through the book in more detail later today to double check.

The book I referrred to in my first post is “Irish Heroes in the War “ a reprint by Naval and Military press ltd.( ISBN 1-84734-181-0) 

In the book there are group  photographs of Officers ( all named) for the 24 th, 25th, 26th, 27th and 30th Battalions NF (  Tyneside Irish)  and a small bio for each officer in the photographs.  They were taken prior to departure over to France, no trace of the other two names in the photographs or the bios. 

Possibility they joined slightly later when Battalions were in France?  

I’ve sent you Two email‘s this morning with the research and photograph, hope it helps. 

HI i checked they joined the battalion in the last week of June 1916. Emails very useful and reply send. Thanks

• 3 years later...

Hello

I am new to the forum, and joined out of an interest in this particular photo. My great-great uncle, William McDonald, was the CSM of the 2nd Tyneside Scottish from 8 Mar 1915. He became RSM on 10 Aug 1916. We have no family photos of him.

He had an interesting career, enlisting in the King's Own Borders in 1885, underage. He also enlisted in the Gordon Highlanders in 1887 (while still with the KOB) and promptly deserted. After finishing his service with KOB, he re-elected with the Gordon Highlanders, and after serving time for desertion, served with distinction. He was awarded the DCM. When he enlisted for WWI, he shaved 11 years off his age to do so.

I would be very interested in identifying William in this photo.

His birth name was William Davison, changed on his first enlistment with the Gordon Highlanders.

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly, welcome to the forum.

I am not sure if yiu are aware there is a book by Graham Stewart and John Sheen titled “The Tyneside Scottish “ which is a History of the 20 th to 23 rd Northumberland Fusiliers in WW.1 published by Pen and Sword which is really worth reading, highly recommended .

They are incredibally knowledgable as yiu would expect from people who have written books in the subject and are regular contributors to this forum

I had a Quick Look in the book and a Wm McDonald CSM is noted in the nominal rolls, at the rear of the book. S/N 21/1570 is this your great great Uncle?

Thank-you for the info about the book. I just ordered it yesterday!

Yes, that is my GGUncle. I knew nothing about him until recently, while researching his sister, my GGGrandmother. His is quite the story.

That’s great, sure you will find it very interesting.

It’s worth posting here what you know about him if yiu want any help from a military perspective, including any military information as a lot of people will be able to help you.

Always best to tell them what you know already and it will save their time researching, if you want help.

Photographs  are notoriously difficult to obtain, local papers are best.
There is a large cache of photographs that appeared in the local papers of Newcastle/ Gateshead available on flicker. I will go off to another computer and find a link for you to see if he’s in that group of photos.

Hopefully the original poster mrfrank will also see your post and respond, Hopefully he is in the original photograph.

www.flickr.com/people/illustratedchronicleww1/

Try here photos from the Newcastle Illustrated Chronicle.

I found my Great Grandad in here so worth looking.

There is also an album of Gateshead soldiers from the Gateshead library available on line , I will look back at my notes to see if I have a link.

Thanks again for the link. I have used the images from Gateshead Library, and he is not among them. I think I have searched the the Flicker link before, but will try again to be sure. I may have been looking for other relatives and not him. The name change was a surprise, so I will have to t'e another look.

Thanks for your help and encouragement!

Hopefully one will turn up, mine did after tree years searching popped up on the flicker account. Keep at it fingers crossed for you.

I have McDonald family from Gateshead and Saltwell Park area but couldn't see a family link to your McDonald . One of the reasons it piqued my interest.

McDonald was a made-up name. There are no McDonald connections in the family that I have discovered in 40+ years of genealogy research!

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Not sure how experienced you are on family research but if you have access to Ancestry.co.uk there is a pension record /part service record for him under his S/N 21/1570 living at 34 Saltwell Place, Gateshead. Worth having a look at it.

Originally 21st Battalion  but transferred  into 3rd Battalion. NF

1 minute ago, K Southworth said:

McDonald was a made-up name. There are no McDonald connections in the family that I have discovered in 40+ years of genealogy research!

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Sorry I misunderstood. Apologies.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if already known, but he does have service papers for his enlistment in 1915 & 1887.

He also has a Medical Record from October 1918 on FMP.

Eoin