Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"CLIVE" mystery

Sgt Stripes

does anyone have information on this tribute medal . I been told i stand a better chance of someone knowing it. Posted originally in other topic. 

IMG-20200805-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200805-WA0001.jpg

Worth adding a link to the other thread.

Also worth mentioning that it’s stamped ‘STERLING’ and has no hallmarks. 

One thing that occurred to me is that the term European War is more associated with North America, that was how it was often referred to by the newspapers. There's a city called Clive in Iowa, close to Des Moines.

Yes. I have sent an email to CLIVE historical society but as of yet no reply.  Many Thanks for taking a look. 

12 hours ago, ajsmith said:

One thing that occurred to me is that the term European War is more associated with North America, that was how it was often referred to by the newspapers. There's a city called Clive in Iowa, close to Des Moines.

I have my doubts. It's some years since we debated the nomenclature, but Googling "European War 1914 1919" leads to a number of references to "the European War" made after it had spread across other parts of the world. The very first suggestion was

this

There are far more useful suggestions on the other thread, and I should have followed earlier up on headgardener's link in post 2.

26 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

There are far more useful suggestions on the other thread, and I should have followed earlier up on headgardener's link in post 2.

Moonraker - I'm sorry, it was originally my suggestion on the other thread for SgtStripes to start something in the 'medals' section - the other thread was in the 'soldiers' section and was more concerned initially in establishing who the recipient was. 

I agree with what you say about the use of the term 'European War'. 

As I said on the other thread, I doubt that this object is originally a 'tribute medal' in the sense in which that term is generally used (a token given by a civic body or employer or organization in recognition of wartime services - I used to have a collection of 'tribute medals', which is why this one puzzles me). I think it's quite simply made, possibly foreign made, and is basically a customised watch fob, and that the recipient may have been a naval signaller or possibly a railway signalman. But, I hope others may be able to critique what I've said here, or may even be able to recognize where it originates from. 

Bit of a teaser this one.  I'd offer:

It's quite rough and the cast "Clive to" suggests to me that several such blanks were made and then individually personalised by engraving.   I draw a British feel from the medal/fob as I believe that the British consistently use, and are rather alone, in referring to the European War as from 1914-1919 perhaps evidenced by the British Victory Medal 1914-1919 compared to other Allied Victory Medals which generally use 1914-1918. Also if this medal/fob were of US origin then what role did the USA play in Italy and Salonika to justify that inclusion on the front and also does the fact that the US did not actively engage in the “European War 1914-1919” until  1917 also seem odd?

The strangest thing is the rather peculiarly specific Theatres mentioned on the medal/fob ........ “France” and “Belgium” (Western Front) and “Italy” and “Salonika” (Eastern Front).

Now, a way off on a flank alternative might develop along the lines of a person named Clive – along the lines of, for instance, gifting such a token to a close group who served him?

Could it be this fellow? 

Lt Gen Sir (George) Sidney CLIVE (1874-1959) served in “France” and “Belgium” (Western Front) as Head of the British Mission at the French Army headquarters from 1915 to the end of the War.  He is also well documented for his recorded and respected views on a British involvement in the Eastern Campaign (Eastern Front) from a British/French perspective. 

For instance:

In 1915; negotiations and preparations concerning numbers and employment of BEF (British Expeditionary Force) troops for the Allied autumn offensive; the transport of Allied troops to “Salonika”, Macedonia, and discussions as to the advisability of sending more men from the Western Front;

In 1916; discussions and negotiations concerning a proposed offensive in “Salonika”, involving British and French troops, based on the possible mobilisation of the Romanian army, 

In 1917; the creation of an Allied Supreme War Council, with a permanent military committee of Foch, Gen Sir Henry Hughes Wilson, Italian (Italy?) Gen Luigi Cadorna and US Gen Tasker Howard Bliss.

............... stretching it perhaps?

Edited by TullochArd

Many Thanks for the reply's. Without any deferent proof I do like the sound of TullochArd ,Lt Gen Sir G S Clive especially as he was involved in the Four theaters on the medal but for now I will l keep an open mind. and keep my fingers crossed that someday the mystery will be solved.