The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Barraken & Salines - where are they

John_Hartley

I can't find either of these two places on a modern map. Can anyone pinpoint them, please.

This relates to an attack by 1/Border on 15/10/18 (in which Great Uncle Robert Brough was killed).

The Division's attack was launched from Sovereign's Wood and Olivia Farm, near Barraken, at 8.15am. Salines cannot be far away as they are reported in the village by 9.35.

They then move on to Heule and Gulleghem (both of which I CAN find on Mapquest).

Thanks

John

John.

Barraken is between Olivia fm and Sovereign Wood....

Dave.

post-4-1109012426.jpg

I'll "zoom in" on the important bits for you later, John. I posted this one so you'd get a better idea of where it is. (I'll also find Salines in a bit - it's on the next map!)

Dave.

I'll "zoom in" on the important bits for you later,

Here you go...

post-4-1109017243.jpg

...and from a modern (2001) IGN map...

post-4-1109017702.jpg

(I'll also find Salines in a bit - it's on the next map!)

Sorry John.

Afraid I'm going to have to let you down on Salines. Just discovered that I don't possess any maps from Sheet 29NW (either old or modern)!

Thought I did!

Dave. :(

Dave

Many thanks anyway.

Assuming the attack was in broadly a straight line and cross referencing your maps with Mapquest, I suspect Salines no longer exists (and was where what seems to be a modern industrial estate is). Might be one of those routes less fun to walk than to drive.

But at least, I can pinpoint where they started from and where they got to.

John

• 2 years later...

Isn't t'internet wonderful?

This morning, I received an email from a resident of Gullegem who is researching the liberation of the village. He'd found this thread and my Hellfire Corner article about Great Uncle Robert.

He reckons the reference to Salines is an anglicisation of Salinus. Salinus was not a separate village but a small part of a street named after the nearby "salinushuys", or salthouse (where you would have gone to buy salt). Opposite the salthouse's location was a bar called "The Ox" (still there).

Only 200 metres away is the road called the Kwadestraat. Looking at a modern map, it would have been smack bang on the Border's attack route. The emailer tells me that in the Gullegem archives are the records of the 43 burials scattered throughout the northern and central parts of the village which were later moved to Dadizeele. It must have meant that men were buried where they fell. In amongst the records are the details of a soldier buried near the house of Mr Gheysen, Kwadestraat. The soldier is 29690, Pte R Brough, 1st Border Regt.

Not for the first time with this war lark, I confess to being a bit choked.

John