Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

how do you remove a ww1 brodie liner

arantxa

I have a couple of not great brodies with liners and a couple of good shells with no liner

Has  anyone on here removed one successfully

Thanks

Dont. 

Agreed. Please leave the original liners alone. You will not be adding value to anything if you try to swap them around.

If you feel the need, you could add reproduction liners to the empty shells:

http://www.militaryhistoryworkshop.co.uk/shop/index.php?searchStr=Liner&act=viewCat&Submit=Go

Hi nothing about value !!!!

a

As I said I have two knackered helmets that have been painted silver and have holes and two lovely original helmets with div badge but no liners 

49 minutes ago, arantxa said:

I have two knackered helmets that have been painted silver and have holes and two lovely original helmets with div badge but no liners 

I would recommend you sell the two painted silver and put the money towards good reproduction liners for the other two. Attempting to remove 100 year old leather that has been riveted to steel is unlikely to end well.

Although bear in mind that you may end up damaging the good shells by attempting to add liners to them as some brute force is required to peen over the copper rivet in the crown. It’s not easy:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/248510-brodie-helmet-restoration/

Therefore leaving them alone is also a good option IMVHO.

Hi

if you wish to go down the replacement route be careful of the pad material at the top as it’s sometimes made of asbestos which is dangerous to you health. The rivetswhich holds the liner in is copper so can be carefully removed by filing the top of it off on the top of the shell. Once removed measure the diameter and is likely to be a 6 or 8 gauge and these are available commercially. Do not use a dremel or similar to remove the river as the heat transferred will damage the leather. Carefully swap the liner and chinstrap and then rivet back into place making sure the head is well supported on the inside in a metal stake. There should be around 2-3mm if rivet protruding through the shell which is enough to done it over and file done as necessary and use a set to finish it off.

Edited by Dave1418

Thanks that is so very informative 

thanks 

Hi

should have said the copper rivets are called Hose rivets and usually come as a rivet and washers but you don’t need the washers.

I tell you know if you add repro liners to the good shells or mess with them you will ruin them. I cannot tell you hat to do but as a buyer a good shell with flash and no liner is better than same with one added and messed with. So again I say don’t.