Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Margaret Allen Brander

Marilyne

Good evening all,

I'm looking for a way to get access to the diary (unpublished) of Sister Margaret Allen Brander, TFNS.

She was mentionned in dispatches twice, worked the better part of 1915 at Nb 5 CCS and then served with Nb 26 GH in Etaples where her performances led her to being trained as an anaesthetist.

If I interpreted my sources well, the papers are at the IWM... anybody know if there's another copy available??

M.

She appears in Emily Mayhew's book Wounded, so that should give a source.

Imperial War Museums, Category Private papers

Catalogue number:  Documents.13190

PRIVATE PAPERS OF MISS M A BRANDER

Ts transcript of diaries dated December 1914 - May 1915 (39pp) and May 1915 - June 1917 (32pp) describing her service with the Territorial Force Nursing Service on the Western Front at the 14th General Hospital, Wimereux (October 1914 - May 1915), giving detailed information on injuries, ailments and treatments of admissions, her working conditions, numbers of patients and empty beds, her limited leisure activities (shopping in Boulogne and trips to tea rooms), Zeppelin attacks on Calais in March, rest period at Hardelot Villa in April (run by Lady Gifford); then service with No 12 Ambulance Train (May - November 1915), transporting injured soldiers from the front line in France and Belgium to hospitals and ships along the coast, giving detailed numbers of those injured (with severity of injury and rank), and description of the Stationary Hospital at Abbeville; service with 20th General Hospital (November 1915 - August 1916) at Dannes Carriers; with No 5 Casualty Clearing Station, Corbin (August - October 1916); with No 4 Casualty Clearing Station, near Acheux (October - December 1916) offering opinions on the planning and organisation of a front line hospital, describing regular shelling and the work of field ambulances; and with less detailed information on her service at No 5 Stationary Hospital (December 1916 - January 1917), GHQ (January 1917), No 1 NZ Stationary Hospital, Amiens (January - February 1917), and No 5 CCS (March 1917); also copies (24pp) of despatches (31 May 1915), Lord Kitchener's letter about recruitment (16 May 1915), photographs and postcards of various locations mentioned in the transcript, an article from 'The People's Journal' (January 1916), a published letter written by her describing Christmas 1915, her letter of application for a post at Perth Royal Infirmary (ca 1921), correspondence regarding award of 'Medaille de la Reconnaissance Francaise en Bronze' (September 1926), her obituary and a letter of sympathy to her brother John Brander (February 1948) following her death, and correspondence with him regarding the 'Miss Brander Fund' (1965).

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030013027

Perhaps you may be able to request a copy if you are interested in particular dates.

Cheers

Maureen

So I guess this warrants a trip to London... once the whole "quaranteene yourself when coming from poor little infectuous Belgium" is over... 

Thanks!! 

M.

I think you mean 'plucky little infectious Belgium'

yes... if we'd been talking before the Belgian Coast Wars!!!!

M.

• 1 year later...

Hi, Margaret was my great Aunt, my grandfather’s  sister. I’m researching my family history and was so pleased to come across these posts. I’ve attached a few photos of Margaret. Regards, SBrander

CBBD03D4-1558-48CE-9C83-1DE38073F7D0.jpeg

EF59AACF-6443-4DCD-ADF3-DF07B2F87CAF.jpeg

FA4F5E40-584F-48A6-9BC6-E1AF268475E3.jpeg

Great photos!

Tagging @Marilyne to be sure she notices this. 

Good evening! !! 

Thanks Sea Jane for tagging me !! 

And thanks @SBranderfor the pictures. 

To say that I thought in august '20 that I'd be planning a trip to the IWM somewhere in the next months... we're one and a half year later and I still don't see how to get over to Britain without having a pointy thing stuck in my nose once a day... enfin soit... I'll get there !!! 

Have a nice evening! 

M. 

Glad you like the photos. Hope you make it to the IWM soon. Looks like the restrictions are easing. I’m a Canadian living in Austria so I sympathise with your travelling woes! It’s not easy to get back and forth!

• 1 year later...
On 20/01/2022 at 00:07, seaJane said:

Great photos!

Tagging @Marilyne to be sure she notices this. 

On 19/01/2022 at 21:55, SBrander said:

Hi, Margaret was my great Aunt, my grandfather’s  sister. I’m researching my family history and was so pleased to come across these posts. I’ve attached a few photos of Margaret. Regards, SBrander

CBBD03D4-1558-48CE-9C83-1DE38073F7D0.jpeg

EF59AACF-6443-4DCD-ADF3-DF07B2F87CAF.jpeg

FA4F5E40-584F-48A6-9BC6-E1AF268475E3.jpeg

Hello @SBrander,

I know this may not be the best way to contact you but I did not find any other solution. I have been writing a thesis for more than a year now on British nurses in the North of France during WWI and when I went to IWM in London, I came across your great aunt's diaries. I would like to know if you could give me a few precision on her background. Which class of the society did she belong to? What kind of education did she receive? Why did she train as a nurse? Did she speak French well before her departure to France? And how old was she when she went to France during WWI? I am sorry if those questions sound stupid or if you think they are too private. It would really help me if you could give me some information.

Thank you very much!

• Admin

Welcome Helene. @SBrander only made those 3 posts and never came back. Hopefully, the tags might alert them. 

Just now, Michelle Young said:

Welcome Helene. @SBrander only made those 3 posts and never came back. Hopefully, the tags might alert them. 

Thank you Michelle! Yes, I guess I may not have a reply. Thank you for your help!

Hi, I have some info on her. She came from a large well to do family in Huntley and several brothers served overseas. But my second cousin may know more so I will ask if I can put you in touch with him. My email is (removed by moderator) 

Regards, Sonya

• Admin

I’ve removed your email address from your post. It’s never a good idea to post personal information like that on a public forum. Members can use private messages to communicate with each other.

Bienvenue, @HeleneW!!!! 

May I ask the title of your thesis?? I've been researching the Women buried in France and Belgium for quite some time now... a "small" project which ended up taking more time than I thought. And with an extremely busy job, its even more complicated... I envy the fact that you've been able to travel to London for your research !! 

If I can help with something, please tell me!!!! 

Marilyne.

Thank you @Marilyne!

Here is the title of the thesis: The Cultural Experience of WWI British Nurses in the North of France. So, most of my research is based on the personal accounts of the British nurses in France - their memoirs, diaries, letters... - and the way they perceived the country they stayed in, the local people they met etc....

That's very kind to offer you help! If I could also help you with your research, don't hesitate! I haven't yet had a look at nurses buried in France and Belgium, but if I come across something that may be relevant, I'd keep you inform.

Yes, I was lucky to go there a few times last year - it was quite complicated with the travel restrictions and the sanitary measures taken by IWM. 

Thank you again for your message.

Helene