Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Clearing Stations and evacuation

WARFORUM

Good morning All,

This is a bit of a long shot but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get more information to fill the gaps that will help me finish my G-Grandfathers war story.

My GGrandfather was with A/15 Battery of the 5 Division, and was injured by Shrapnel whilst his battery was south of the Bapaume-Achiet railway, between Bihucourt and Biefvillers on 25/08/1918.  All I know from then is that he was admitted to 22 General Hospital in Camiers on 27/08/18, then went via Dover to Bradford War Hospital where he was admitted on 08/09/1918.

Now these are the long shots.  Is there any way I can find out what Field Ambulances were operating in that area, and where the Dressing Stations and Casualty Clearing Station may have been.  The icing on the cake would be the name of the ship he came home on, but any info anyone can give me and point me in the right direction to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Graham

HI Graham

I must be clear I'm no Artillery expert and the position of the Battery will be crucial, but based on the Order of Battle info I think I'm right in concluding the 5th Division was part of IV Corps, Third Army engaged in the battle for Bapaume over the period in question.   Therefore assuming he was transferred to one of the CCSs attached to the Third Army on 25th August 1918 the possibilities are your Great Grandfather went to one of the following:

34th or 38th CCSs at Fienvillers - both located here until 7th and 8th September respectively. 

3rd, 29th, or 56th at Gezaincourt - all located there until 14th Sept, 27th Sept, and 31st August respectively

21st at Wavans- located there until 27th September

59th at Hesdin - located there until 30th August

45th at Auchy-les-Hesdin moved on 24th August to Bailleulval and it appears it took approximately 7 days to be functional again.  So rule this out I'm sure.

The 46th at Fillievers was relocating on 25th August so unlikely he went there but of course the timing of his transfer to the CCS from the Field Ambulance, time of day of his wound  etc. could influence the timings.  But highly unlikely he went there I'd say

If you knew the date he was transferred to the 22nd General Hospital it potentially could eliminate a few of the above.

I hope these options may allow an Artillery expert to narrow down the position of the Battery that day vs. the position of the CCS.  Afraid I have nothing of value on the Field Ambulance/Dressing Station but the War Diaries might.

If I've completely stuffed up which Corps /Army he was in on the day in question I can re-do the above for the right one!

Andrew

Edited by aconnolly

Hope it doesn't seem that I'm disputing anything here as I've not looked into anything at present.

Generally speaking there is a scheme of evacuation which defines where injured are evacuated to and sometimes the methodology of the evacuation.

This may be organised by 5th Division ADMS or IV Corps DDMS.

Then there may be evacuation variables based on type/severity of injury and/or the location of the unit EG. left/right sector of division/corps front.

Seperate medical evacuations orders for artillery are a rarity, that may be because they simply come under the normal orders.

However, sometimes they can have their own system of treatment and evacuation to CCS.

I have no idea of the proximity of his battery to the CCSs mentioned by Andrew but he would have gone to the one (or the group of CCSs) designated to him as per the orders.

3 & 34 CCS have surviving admission registers on FMP so those could be checked.

I can check a few things tomorrow but his full name and number would be useful. I also note that XV Brigade were divisional artillery for 5th Division. Is A/15 Battery the correct term?

I'm hopeless at finding artillery diaries but I think WO95/1528/2 & 1524/3 would be a good shout, free at present.

These should give a location and may have a copy of the medical arrangements.

TEW

Thanks TEW - as noted I am ignorant of some of finer points of the relationship when it comes to Artillery so I'm very grateful for the clarity.  It makes sense as you describe and I've not found alternative paths in the O/H records.  The fact some CCS records remain is a huge potential advance.  

Andrew

I had a quick look last night at 5th Division and IV Corps. 5th Div. Had only just joined IV Corps. The DDMS suggests their medical team were in reserve and assisting the other divisions. By 25/8/18 they were manning advanced and main dressing stations and a walking wounded collecting post.

I saw no mention of artillery or any 'designated' CCSs. Handwritten 3rd Army DMS diary not easy on the eyes but it may mention how the CCS were coping.

Will look again.

TEW

Thank you both for the information, it has certainly given me some direction, instead of me aimlessly trudging through records and finding nothing, although I have found some very interesting things doing just that.

I had looked at 13th Field Ambulance WD that mentions a route of evacuation which sort of fits the area, but its all 'guesstimates' from my side.

My GGrandfather was, Gunner Harry Driver 951305 (changed to 2890) and as attached to 'A' Battery of the 15th Brigade RFA which the WD refers to A/15.

I will get  WO/95/1524/3 and also check FMP.

Graham

I can tell you he was admitted to 14FA sometime in 1917. Not seen the full entry. No index listing for 1918 should eliminate 3 & 34 CCSs for the 1918 injury. He has another admission to somewhere in 1917 under his earlier number. Have just seen his record on Ancestry, shame the relevant form is missing.

The second part for his route back to Bradford from Camiers is likely to be very difficult. At best I think you'll be looking at a lot of variables.

His route from CCS will be an ambulance train probably to Boulogne. Then at some point moved to Camiers either by another train or motor ambulance.

Guess work here but he probably had to move back to Boulogne to be shipped back to Dover. However he may have entrained for another port. 

As diaries are free at present you could get same for 22GH to see if they mention anything for the period he was there.

Ditto for Boulogne base, WO95/4015/3.

TEW